Thursday, July 30, 2009

How long is the average domestic cat's lifespan?

My cat was 21 this month. I would like to pre empt any health problems. He is fully active and appears to have all of his faculties in order. He purrs a lot, but nothing else out of the ordinary. I would like to keep him fit and well as long as I can. Any advice?
Answers:
Your cat is a senior citizen.Enjoy him and love him for all its worth. If he will eat a good senior diet food give him that. Lots of water, bottled or distilled water are best. Give your sweet cat a rub under his chin for me.My Gracie Loy was 16 when I lost her last year. I have photos framed (even before she died) in my house. I have a new cat now, and I love her very much, she has Gracie's sweetness but she is also very different. Cats are just the sweetest little pets. I love the way they sleep in bed with me.
15 or so I thnk
Its 20 - 25.
15 - 20 as far as I know.
Don't free feed like leave his bowl all day %26 night only give him breaksfast %26 dinner that's it etc Indoor cats live longer then outdoor cats

Life Span indoor cats 16 years or more

Life Span outdoor cats would be depends if he doesn't get ran over by a car or get into a fight with another cat etc
around 13-25. Indoor cats tend to live longer (less stress)
That is one amazing cat! 21 years old? Well done you.
Congratulations on your cat's long and healthy life. He is an old boy. Average lifespan is about 13-20 years. I had a cat die last year at age 19, but I've known cats that lived to 25 and I've heard of a few that have lived even longer.

Keep up on annual vet checks and take extra good care of him. If anything comes up, get him to a vet fast because older ones go downhill more quickly than younger ones from even minor ailments.

I hope you have him for many more years.
they can range from 12 to 14 years of life.
16. give him water. milk once a week. ensure food has some greens and a bit of carbs in it (not too much protein). stroke him a lot. flea him regularly.
14 years.
I heard that there was a cat that live to be 36.
Cats can live up to about 20, but I have a feeling that they usualy last to the age of around 14 to 16. You can keep your cat healthy by keeping it wormed regularly, keep it inside at night so that it doesn't fight with other cats because they can catch feline aids through fighting which is fatal - and very sad to see. Also make sure your cat has a healthy diet, obviously you dont want your cat to be too thin, but being overweight is also very dangerous in pets - which many people don't seem to realise- they get diabetes too and joint problems from excess weight (actually that's probably more of a dog thing, but its good to look out for). Im not a vet, just an animal lover, so the best person to talk to is a veterinarian - just give them a call and ask them how to keep your cat healthy.
I would say the average is about 15.

Your cat is doing very well, 21 is getting on a bit. Treat every day as a bonus.

Does he chase flies?
they live up to 20 to 30
It sounds like you have a good system going. Lucky you.I had a cat live to 19.
thats awesome, 21!!!! just look after him as u have done and he'll be fine.
mines 18. my friends lived to 23, her grans lived to 25
12
usually, the aveage cat lives till it's about 14 yrs old, the oldest cat i've seen was 32 yrs old! u must b lucky 2 have an old fart hanging around, lol. my suggestion is 2 just keep doing what u've been doing 4 ur cat, it seems 2 b working and he seems pretty healthy from what ur discribing. just make everyday the best day of his life, and b his best friend while he's still around, good nite now, sweet dreams.

ZZZzzzz....} (-.-)
My neighbor has a cat that is 27 and still acts like a kitten.
Hello. My male (ginger tabby) is 20, will be 21 in June. I think he lives this long because he is so well loved and so well cared for. However, he is going a bit ragged and unkempt, so we brush him every day. He is also going a bit senile (staring vacantly etc). I carry him about quite a lot and he purrs noisily and then falls asleep. He is still extremely talkative. The vet says he is in great condition for his age so I hope that with a lot of care and love he will continue. Bless you and your cat. Barry. XX.
15 - around 20 years. My eldest son has a kitten who has severe reactions to chicken and we have to feed her venison. I'm guessing that her illnesses in early life will lead to an earlier death than normal.

I'd suggest a full blood test, just to make sure kidneys etc are working ok and you can get medications if necessary.

Other than that, just love and care. Pets are family!
15 to 20 is the average I think but the oldest cat in the world is well into it's 30's so they can live a good while.

It sounds like your a good owner so keep doing what you've done for the last 21 years and take him to the vet at the first sign of problems as most can be treated.
I used to work as a veterinary nurse and the oldest cat I saw was 28.
21 is old for a cat but if he's happy and healthy there's not too much to worry about. Keep n eye on him to make sure he's not drinking more than usual as older cats can be prone to kidney problems; if you are at all worried about him you could arrange for a health check at the vets. They can carry out an older cat blood profile to check every things working properly, make sure his teeth are OK and give him a general once over.
To be honest this doesn't really sound necessary as you've described him as being in healthy, good condition so you must have been doing something right all these years! You may want to swap him to a diet that is specially formulated for older cats - they're available from all the usual places you buy cat food.
Hope you have many more happy years with him to come x
my cat was 18 when her kidneys failed. your cat is really old in cat years. the average age for a cat is 14. the oldest verified age for a cat was 31. if your cat was human she would be about a 100 years old. just carry on with what you are doing you cant be doing nothing wrong otherwise he wouldnt be the grand old age of 21
18 to 20

good luck for you if he is 21
i hope he lives longer for you as most cats only manage 20 at the most
My cat lived until he was 23 years old i also have a cat that is twenty this year.So i guess that they can live up to there early twenties
Well done for getting your cat to the grand old age of 21! I think you can safely apply for his bus pass now ;-)

There have been a few cats that have lived into their late 20s/ early 30s! There was once a claim that a 43 year old cat was found! So here's hoping you'll have many years together to come!
http://www.messybeast.com/longevity.htm...

I've included some links to help you look after him in his twilight years:
http://moggycat13.tripod.com/id82.html...
http://www.fabcats.org/elderlycats.html...
http://www.catclub.net/index.cfm/area/in...
http://catinformation.galaxyofinfo.com/c...

Also more advice and feeding tips:
http://us.iams.com/iams/en_us/jsp/iams_p...

Again, well done for looking after your cat so well.

xx Emmie
The average is way behiond you already, vets put it to 14-16 years. Your cat sounds like it's in very good health, whatever you're doing, don't stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment