Thursday, July 30, 2009

How long do you need to wait before taking kittens from their mother?

Want a kitten don't want to take from mother to soon.
Answers:
No sooner than 12 weeks or the mother will be more upset than necassary. She will probaly be upset anyways, but being 12 weeks she will be less upset. The kittens will also be healthier than if taken away sooner.
Generally 8-10 weeks is safe.

And please, spay the mom and alter the kitten that you take home.
Kittens need to be with their mother untill at least 6 weeks. 8 weeks is much more preferable.
8 weeks.
you should wait until they are 2 months old before you take them from their mother. They need this much time to learn what they must know... i took my kitten to early and he never learned that biting and clawing was a no no. that is something they learn from being with their mother and the litter.
No sooner than 8 weeks. They need there mommies milk till atleast then. I just got two new kittens they are great. I hope you have fun with your new friend.
6-8 weeks. They are going to need mommy for a while. I think we got one of my kitties too early. When he was little he would suck my earlobes. (I think he missed his mommy) I thought he would grow out of it, but he is 4 years old and still does it!
My mother bred cats...she always waited 10weeks...that is when the mother naturally weens them. It's best for the kittens. Their digestion track is more mature and ready for their new owner...adn the mother will do lots of training with them as well. All in all they will be happier kittens.
8 - 10 weeks is the average. I personally think you should wait the full 10 weeks or over a couple of weeks. The kittens learn a lot from their mom, like using the litter box, cleaning themselves, even eating from the bowl. With this good training this will make it easier on both the kitten and it's new family.
i got my cat at 6 weeks so at least 6-10 weeks
8 weeks is good, and be sure to get her rabies shot and upper respiratory inf. shot, thats all she'll need to be an indoor kitty and a spay.

No comments:

Post a Comment