Thursday, July 30, 2009

How long does it take for a grown cat to get use to a new owner?


Answers:
I agree, it depends on the cat. Just basically ignore him and he will feel comfortable enough to creep into your lap in short time. Cats are very shy; the reason they go straight for the one person in the room who hates cats is because that person is not paying them any attention, and they feel very comfortable about that, believe it or not! Just ignore him for now, and he will come around. Give him his own room by himself if poossible, and leave him alone to do his own exploring on his own time, that will also help his level of confidence right now, which is very shaken up.
Depends on the cat. I have one cat that was used to me the minute I brought him home. My other cat (who I have had for almost a year now) took months to get used to me, and I am only now able to pick him up and carry him around.
That's a tough one... It largely has a lot to do with the cat him/herself and their history more than their age (although it's a lot easier with a kitten than a grown cat.)

I've had one cat that was abused at 5 months old (I got her at 11 months) and it took me over a year to get her to trust me. I have another cat I got at two years old that didn't have an abusive history who took to me right away. And I'm also cat-sitting a 5 year old cat who seems used to me but doesn't fully trust me. So it's really a toss up as to the length of time... just give it time is the best advice I can give you.
If possible try to follow your cat's old schedule and feed type. If you inherited the dishes, litter-box and toys that would be a big bonus with getting her/him acclimated to you and the new home. It takes time.patience and love . Cats are very unique. I have two, one a quiet, sweet, cuddlier and the other a Feline Diva! ie I WANT ATTENTION AND I WANT IT NOW Right now I'm typing one handed cause my Boo insists that I hold her. Magik my other cat hates to be held but loves to cuddle up next to me and be petted. Let her/him set the pace and I think you'll be surprised at how quickly your new pet will warm to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment