Thursday, July 30, 2009

How long does a cat have to stay in the home before leeting him out when you have just moved, is it 2 weeks?

my cat seems settled and we moved in sunday.
Answers:
I wouldn't let your cat roam period. It's a good way to get it killed. There's too many wackos and nutcases out there.
a cat will make a home where ever it gets fed, no loyalty
I'd wait at least a week.
We've moved twice in 18 months and let the cat outside almost straightaway.
They don't stray very far at first until their confidence increases.
2-3 weeks but you can take it out on a harness so that it gets to smell the new surroundings...Cats have been known to return to the old home if let out too soon...
They say 2 weeks and put butter on the paws!, i kept my cat in for 2 weeks, let her out and she went missing for about 2 days, someone spotted her at the old address! anyway she came back in the end.
5 days is usually best.
My ex-Step mum has loads of cats (10+), and she just put butter and milk on their feet, and a few hours later, let them out, and they are fine.

BTW, she moved to a different country, and moves every so oftern, as she keeps upgradeing her home, now she lives in an old farm, that dose nothing, just for the land.

So I think, its the smell of the furnateure that they remember, cats have great smell.
Dip each paw into milk, your cat will lick the smell off from the old house. Wait a day or two for your cat to get the smell of the new place onto its paws an there you go.
I wouldn't let my cat out no matter where I lived. Cats do not have to have outside time. If you want to take your cat outside I suggest taking him out on a leash and staying with him. Too many nasty things can happen to a cat who is just left outside. The least of which is getting hit by a car, mauled by a stray dog, beat up by another loose cat or killed by a fox or other wild animal. If you really care about your cat you won't let it run free outside.
I would wait at least 4 weeks so your cat feel very secure in their new home. Cats have been known to find their way back to their old houses, no matter what the distance is! You may want to consider microchipping you cat in case they go walkabout. Better safe than sorry.
I recently moved to a new home with my three cats. I opened the door for them the first day I moved but they wouldn't go outside. The slightest noise would scare them. When they are ready to venture out they'll let you know. At first they will stay close to the house. I have two cats that tend to stay pretty close to the house but one of them likes to walk around the community. I don't let them stay out for too long only a couple of hours at night because I have to leave the door open for them. If not, they freak out. I also don鈥檛 want them to get too used to being outside. I prefer to keep them inside the house because I鈥檓 afraid they might get lost or injured or worse, hit by a car.
Only you know your cat well enough to make that decision, when you adopt a new adult cat from a rescue centre you are advised up to 2 weeks, but if the animal is settled, eating and healthy it is safe to let him her out when you are comfortable, althougth nerve racking at first rest assured your cat knows who feeds it and this will bring him/ her back to you.
it is safer if you keep him an indoor cat, he will be safer, happier and healthier
I don't think there is a time period. I a cat is well-loved then they will stay close. We have two indoor cats and we just moved. Neither one has tried to leave. Not too long ago I found a stray huddled by the side of the road and brought him home. He seemed like an outdoor cat and wanted to give him a chance to go back home if he had one and he is still around. Animals know where they are wanted and loved and not and will go accordingly.
I have 2 cats, they're nearly 14yrs old, so they dont really go out much now but as they were growing up we moved alot due to my husbands job, first time I kept them in ages to make sure they didn't stray but because we moved almost every 12mths, I would let them out almost straight away from the second and subsequent moves. The best thing to do, would be to go outside with him/her and judge for yourself, you said it seems "settled" so try it, trust in your own feelings, talk to it and try to reassure it, let it explore whilst in it's own surroundings. Unless something startles it, it's not likely to go far at this stage.

Hope things go OK !
When we moved, I gave my cat one month, just to be sure, there's no use taking chances. I gave her one room, for a week, then another and gradually the whole house. When the month was up I gradually introduced her to outside.
We live between a busy road and a freeway. She never strays or goes outside out of our yard. This is her fourth home (she's a rescue and we've moved three times now) and she's only five, I think we're doing something right, LOL.
when i got a new cat we were keeping him in for a while but he managed to escape out of a window and he was lost we eventually got him back 3 days later after looking everywhere and posting notes through doors. He had already been in for over a week when this happened. I would advise keeping it in for about 3 weeks and then do it gradually starting in the garden while being watched for a little while. Male un-neutered cats are the worst as they tent to wonder more(Mine was a male cat that had only recently been neutered). New kittens should be kept in for about 6 weeks when you get them.
When i rescued my cat from the RSPCA i kept him in for about 2 weeks
I kept my two in for a month as i wanted them to get used to everything and they watched out the windows lots too - they were fine!!!
Do not let your cat out before you have been in your present home for less than two weeks and then go into the garden with her. If you can get her used to a cat harness and lead for a short time then you can take her out to get the scent of her new surroundings. If not then when you let her out let her go out before food then she will want to come back for her meal
It may seem very settled inside the house, but it would be better to leave it at least 10 days to 2 weeks. Just incase something really scares him when he goes out and he gets confused.
Glad he seems settled already though, thats very good
If you smear your cat's feet with butter, he will lick them clean and will remove any traces of his previous residence. Then you can let him out.

Our military family moved frequently and we always did this with our cats. They never strayed.
Hi
I kept my cats in for 6 weeks then I let them out ,I put lots of butter on their paws, they were so busy cleaning them they never left my garden ,It all depends where you live I live in the u.k. I think you should be safe, than to be sorry, and keep him in for 6 weeks, they will get used to the inside of the house and then when the time is up butter his feet and let him go out, don't feed him,then he will come back when he's hungry and is he chipped.
Lots of Luck
You dont let him out at all. Cars, other animal attacks, cruel people, disease and parasites are all risk factors.
my cat is mainly an outdoor cat just comes in at night ,but i kept her in with a litter tray for two weeks when we moved then let her out she was fine you could try her on a leed at first if your not sure but she should come back
2 or 3 weeks and then rub butter on their pads they then leave a new scent in their new territory

No comments:

Post a Comment