Friday, July 31, 2009

How much of a problem are brownsnakes for cats in Australia?

I've been wondering for quite some time now whether cats in Australia actually get bitten by brownsnakes a lot.
I mean, wouldn't they, being the curious creatures they are? I can just see them going to investigate and getting bitten.
Or is that more of a dog problem?
Answers:
Depends what area you live in and the weather.
I work at a vet surgery in the inner city suburb and this year as it has been sooo dry we have had several brown snake attacks resulting in 2 cats and 1 dog neeeding antivenom and oxygen therapy.
Jack Russel Terriers seem to be the breed that catches snakes more than any other breed.
However in the past 11 yrs of working I have only seen 2 others.
i i have heard of cats being bitten but not cause they where curious same with any animal or person just in the wrong place at the wrong time
Well, brown snakes are found in certain parts of australia. They can be a problem for household pets, more so in areas surrounded by bush land. I have had 2 cats killed by brown snakes. I have since moved to the tropics, and now have the threat of Whip Snakes, Typans and all sorts of pythons. My small dog is also interested in everything the rustles in the bushes. Its all a part of life I guess.
Yes, it is a problem, but cats and dogs have healing saliva, which is a pitty for humans...any way,
Cats are more likly to get bitten, as they would pat at it where as a dog would bark and get the attention of a person.

If they do get bitten and you notice it, a vet can treat them.
Brown snakes in Oz are worst than black, as black snakes will rather run, brown will fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment