Thursday, July 30, 2009

How many cats is too many cats?


Answers:
5
when they start to take over your house!
Consult your local animal control. They have laws about how many pets you can keep.
i think 4 cats is to many and make sure that they are all fixed or the same sex or you will have even more.
One, in my opinion.
when the quality of care starts to decrease.
It really depends on how much space you have for them, and if you can take GOOD care of them.

That includes having them fixed, getting them their shots and check-ups, and making sure they actually have clean litter as well as enough food.

There was one guy I used to know who had at least 20 cats in his house, and another 20 to 30 under it. And frankly, the place stank. Needless to say, that was way too many.
I would think 2 would be the maximum number, unless you're raising them as food.
I would say, as a general rule, one cat for every 500 square feet of the home. Just my opinion.
4 or more, but that my opinion
There are laws about how many animals you can keep inside your home (usually 4 animals is the maximum allowed in one home). I'm sure some people have more than 4 animals but as long as they can afford to take care of all of them and have enough room for the animals I don't see anything wrong with having a few more.
One!!!
more than 1, there are enough strays already, cats are a nuisance to your neighbours and they will soon complain , each to there own pet, i am not a cat lover probably as I`m alergic to their fur, beside that other peoples cats scratch my cars paint, go to the toilet in my garden and doorstep ! keep it indoors when u can if you want peace with ur neighbours.
As a child I had 12 once - on a 5 acre plot of land 20 miles away from the city limits. We loved them to death and were wonderful pets. This was not too many cats - they kept the rodent population at bay.

As an adult - a woman was moving to another city and took her cats with her (our city passed an ordinance - no more than 4 pets to a residence) - and gave her house to a disabled friend of mine to live in for free. She had 15-20 cats in a 2 bedroom house.

We had to rip out the carpet and throw it away. We had to alternate soaking the urine soaked wooden floors in straight bleach and vinegar to destroy the pungent odor. It took weeks!

We washed walls and ceilings and poured liquid deoderizer everywhere.

She refused to have them fixed, or to get their shots. Many were sickly or ferrile when she moved.

She had too many cats.

Too many is when you are unable to care for them well enough to keep your home from smelling like an eternal litterbox.

If you can't keep one from doing that - then one is too much.

Peace.
Aside from local laws about how many pets one is allowed to have, how many is too many will be determined by how much money, space, and energy one has to care for the cats. Personally, I have feel this smallish two bedroom house has just about enough room for two cats - there is room for them to spend time together or separate for alone time. If we finished the basement, there would be more room, and maybe it would feel comfortable for three cats. But my current budget does not have room to buy more cat food, and I would be hard-pressed to scrape together more money for shots and veterinary care for a third cat. And I barely have time to brush and clip claws for both cats regularly. Not to mention, I have no desire to spend another extra minute cleaning out yet another litterbox. So for me, the answer is three cats would be too many.

Of course, there are plenty of people who have more room, more money, and either more energy to clean up after them or enough money to pay someone to clean up, and their answer will be different.

I'd say, if after cleaning all the litterboxes, the home in question still smells bad, there are probably too many cats in it.
12.
to many cats is when you have to spend over 40 dollars on cat food in a week or when you got more then 20 cats in your house.
I personally have 2 cats and have been wanting a 3rd one but keep struggling to do. I would say 2 to 3 is the max one family should get. More than 3 would be too many.
I had 3 cats at once and looking back that was one too many for me.

If they are indoor cats and you want to have the place smelling nice most of the time then 1-2 cats is plenty.

If they have access to a cat run then more is fine but if they are outside cats any cat is too many in my opinion. I hate feral (stray) cats especially if they aren't desexed.

so it's a personal choice but keep in mind cats don't only move around on your property. They tend to roam a lot to other peoples yards too. So neighbours won't want you owning too many cats.
You have to remember that cats are territorial creatures. They show it by "spraying" which makes for an unpleasant house. Also a "spraying" cat usually means an upset cat. Lots of times cats tend to get very agitated and nervous when there are lots of other cats around them. In my opinion I would say a good 2 or 3 cats would be fine. Remember to have a litter box for each cat. Other wise you will have a problem. Cats as a general rule will not go in a litter box that is over run from other cats. Another thing to remember that cats will take control of your house. They will scratch, urinate, and lots of other catty things until it is unsafe for humans. I have seen so many people ruin their houses because they take in several cats. Its better not to do that. If you have a concern for stray cats the animal shelter can point you in the right direction.
I think more than 3 cats woul be too many. after that there would be way too much poop to clean. and too much hair on everything.
It all depends how much you can handle its not good to have to many becuse one can get in bad shap.
It depends if the live in house. Also depends on size of house. My house is 1800 sq. ft. and I have 4 that plenty. Also depends if u can keep up with the cleaning of the litterboxes etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment