Monday, May 24, 2010

I have 2 wonderful cats but now I'm pregnant and everyone is telling me I have to put them to sleep...?

I am 13 wks pregnant and I know I can't change the litter box and I have someone else doing it. But ppl keep telling me that when the baby comes my cats will kill it trying to get the milk out of its mouth... This situation has me all confused because to me my cats are family and they are my first children its not that easy for me to just kick them out like that... any advice please!
Answers:
You DO NOT have to put your cats to sleep or even give them away. All you need to do is have someone else change the litter box and teach the cats to stay out of the baby bed.

We raised our children and when they were infants we had several cats in the home. Our cats never "stole the baby's breath" or any of that other stuff they tell you. That is all urban legend and old wives tails.

This is how we kept our cats out of the baby bed/bassinet. First set them up early...when you are 5-6 months along. Then each time you catch the cat in the baby bed, squirt it with a water gun...they get the hint...quick. Squirt the cat even if it sees you and tries to jump out...the more you squirt the more they learn to hate the baby bed. We had a stubborn cat so my aunt suggested this idea: blow up a bunch of balloons and fill the baby bed with them. Cats LOATHE balloons.this worked with our stubborn cat. My friend placed strips of tape sticky side up in the baby bed. This worked with her cat.of course she then had to catch him to take the tape off of him but it sure worked.

You can also ask you vet about other ways to teach the cat to stay out of the baby's bed.
your cats are not going to kill your baby for it's milk - that's the most retarded thing I've ever heard.
no I have had my cat for 6 years and I have a 4 year old. Just have someone do the litter box for you that is the only concern I know of. The milk thing is an urban legend along with them stealing their breath.
No, you do not need to put your cats down aslong as you are sensible and take precautions.

Sometimes cats sleep on babies, so aslong as you place a net over the babies cot or keep the cats out of the room, there is not a problem.

The trying to get milk from the babies mouth is a myth. For more, see:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/cats...

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Cats and babies can get on very well. I've got loads of photos of me as a baby - most of the time I was asleep on my mums lap, and the cat was curled up asleep with me!
dont leave your baby on the floor! ;)
what in the world? who told you that you HAVE to put them down? that's so stupid, don't do it. but it would be best if you got rid of the cats. maybe you can have a friend or family member take care of them until you can go back to taking care of them.
that is such an old wives tale.. and its completely ridiculous!

but if you chose to believe it..or worry about it..AT LEAST find the cats a new home..dont have them put to sleep! thats terrible... :o(
If you really can't keep them, put them up for adoption or give them to a loyal friend. You can visit them all you like, otherwise, if you decide to keep the cats, keep them in another room with a sturdy door.
WRONG wrong wrong!! I had cats for years before I had kids and have had cats for years since they were born. Never once did my cats do anything to hurt my babies! Sometimes they will get in the crib and put their face near the baby's face and I don't know why, but it never hurt my kids when they did it. My kids and my cats have always gotten along.
DON'T DO THAT... if you need to get rid of them give them away...

by the way, whoever told you that is insane... the only legitimate reason i have ever heard of for pregnant women to not be around cats is because of a certain disease they can transmit... how about talking to a vet or a doctor who actually knows what they're talking about??
No, unless your cats are vicious and attack constantly, you don't have to worry about them killing your baby for milk.
This is an old wives tale. As long as your baby is not allergic there is no reason not to keep your cats. And should that turn out to be the case, I think giving them away is a much better option than putting them down.
Keep your cats, there's no reason that you would need to get rid of them.
i had 2 babies with 4 cats in the house. there were absolutely no issues at all. i don't know why they are telling you this..maybe they just want you to get rid of the cats?
things will be fine. just an old wives' tale.
That's crazy. I know many people who have cats and have had babies. It's true that you need to keep an eye on them for signs of aggression, and to make sure that they don't accidentally lay on the baby to snuggle. And you already mentioned that you know about not doing the litter while you're pregnant. I think things will be fine - ignore the people who are telling you to get of the cats.
Is giving them away an option perhaps to a family member, that way you will still get to see them and you will know that they are going to a good home.
people are funny...
keep your cats... .let someone else keep changing the litter box...
my baby loves the kitty!
don't put them to sleep! that is just an old wives tale.
Personally, if I were you I'd get a self-cleaning litter box!
When my brother and sister (and me) were born my cats acted normal.
(Except 4 the crying baby)
GET THEM SPAYED OR NEUTERED THEN THROUGH THEM IN THE PARK SOMEWHERE THEY WILL BE FINE BY THEM SELF'S.
a cat will not try to kill a baby for milk. Keep the cats just keep an eye on them because they will be curious about the new baby.
not true at all. you can keep your cats.
Your friends are ridiculous. We had a baby and although the cats were a little jealous, there was never any problems.
Do you believe EVERYTHING you hear or are told? I mean cause you can't give them away, you have to put them to sleep, right? I guess everyone you've ever know with cats put them to sleep when the baby came?!!!
Who ever is telling you that you have to put your kitties to sleep is someone I would definitely put on a list of guests to not invite to the baby shower or any other parties after that.
That`s so wrong. Don`t listen to those people
You are hearing an old wives tale. You don't have to get rid of your cats.

Think about this... have you ever seen anything on the news about killer cats? Ever? Maybe in the National Enquirer where they come from Mars but not here.
Ignore those ignoramuses! That is one of the craziest old wives tales on the planet! You and your baby will be fine...I was born into a 2-cat family and here I am at the ripe old age of 51...I survived and so will you, your fur-babies and your soon-to-be human baby!
What!?!? Whoever is telling you that doesn't know what they are talking about. Here are valid concerns...
1. Do your cats puke or poop on the floor? You don't want baby crawling in that.
2. Are your cats territorial? They may not accept new baby.
3. Are your cats snuggly? They may suffocate sleeping baby while trying to snuggle with it. - This is the biggy!
Don't be ridiculous!

Cat's don't kill babies trying to compete for milk.

Of course, you need to keep your baby and the cats separated for awhile until the baby builds up a bit of an immune system. However, the idea that you must put your cats to sleep because you will be having a baby is absurd.

No comments:

Post a Comment