Friday, May 21, 2010

I brought a cat home, I find she has "nipples", and I fear she had hidden kittens...how may I find them?

This is a kitty who has had repeated bad luck with her kittens. Something ALWAYS happens to them, poor things! My dad died, and his place was torn down. I had always fed the cats there, but when the place was demolished (I had no prior notice), apparently not many survived. One by one I have brought to my home the ones I could catch. Today I got the little "hard luck mommy". I found she has "nipples" and it had not ocurred to me that she might have had a litter all the while I was driving home with her. Now I am flipping out...what do I do?? Do I keep her here and try to go find the kitties of indeterminate age? Or do I take her back and see if she will let me see them? OR, sadly, maybe something already happened to them...and I hate to risk taking her BACK there, and not being able to catch here again to bring home. That is NOT safe country out there, as the "natives" of the area seem to think cats are something to practice on when they are bored. I am so upset, and would love input.
Answers:
Does she have engorged teats, with milk in them, or just prominent nipples?

If she has milk, she has nursing kittens or mau be pregnant and close to giving birth.

If she just has prominent or elongated nipples, that only indicates that she has had kittens in the past, which you already know. She may have recently weaned a litter or something may have happened to them -- you say she is a hard-luck mother.

I wouldn't take her back and let her go in hopes she will lead you to them. She is liable to disappear, whether or not she has a nest of kittens somewhere, and you won't be able to catch her again. I would take her back in a carrier, in hopes she would call to the kittens, but I would also walk around and try to find some sign of them.

Sorry to say, if she had nursing kittens I don't think you will be able to find them and save them. Please get the kitty spayed. Thank you for your kindness to the poor homeless cats.
That is so good of you to rescue the cats, just make sure you get them all fixed.

Don't bring momma cat back to the scene, you may not be able to catch her again, unless you bring her in a carrier. If the kittens are there, they may be crying for her, so listen carefully. Good Luck
put a harness on her and take her back she should go directly to her kittens if she does bring her into your car and catch the kittens and take them to the vet ASAP

No comments:

Post a Comment