Friday, May 21, 2010

I am getting two kittens this afternoon that need to be bottlefed. What age do you think they are?

I dont need info on HOW to bottlefeed or care for babies, I know how and have done it before.
I have not seen the babies as of yet but I am told they have open eyes, and little tiny teeth buds are starting to show through the gums. But she also says they are meowing and running around. This seems like two different ages to me?
With the budding teeth how old would you say they are about? I figure about 3 weeks...
Answers:
In Indiana it is now illegal to take a puppy or a kitten from its mother that is less than 8 weeks old. I imagine something has happened to the mother,,,
I think your best vet is to call an animal shelter or a vet to determine the age and what to feed. My guess is 2 to 3 weeks
WHY are these kittens being taken from their mother so early ??? they should not leave until their at least 6 weeks old. ...
4 to 6 weeks
I'd say 2 to 3 weeks.
seems like two different to me too- but if you have to bottle feed still probably 3 weeks. Oh I bet you are excited- congrats on your new additions
You're probably right at about 3 weeks, possibly even 4. At two weeks the kittens still look like little egg-heads with their ears folded a little bit, in the third week they are more alert, ears more erect and they start moving around more. During the fourth week they start to walk around but are still a bit unsteady, the ears are pretty much completely upright. I'm going to guess 4 weeks if they are really running around at all. They are still really akward walkers even at 5 weeks. Good luck with them, I bet they're adorable! The pictures on that linked page are of a litter of kittens at different weeks. Maybe when you get them you can compare and figure it out.
It definitely sounds they are less than 8 weeks. Taking them from the mother sooner than 8 weeks can affect their development. IF something happened to the mother that is sad, but we have a now grown cat that was bottle fed as she lost her mother and she is a very social lap cat. She likes to have human contact in getting this as a kitten. We discovered that she may have a possible heart murmur so get the kittens wellness checked if they aren't to be sure of any special needs from early on. Enjoy the playfulness and energy of two kittens.
I would assume since they are bottle feeding they are under 5 weeks some still nurse till their teeth are stronger but my guess would be 3-8 weeks old. I had a litter of nine lol yes nine and each one was at a different stage and size one was almost as big as mom now one still looks like a midget lol if they have tooth buds but they are not in yet I would place them at 3-4 weeks probably no more than a month old! oh and an additional tip that will help them grow strong when they are about ready for food try giving them small amounts like a table spoon full of baby food meat this will give them great protien that they will be lacking it will help their bones grow better just once a day or twice a day till they are able to eat big kitten food .btw good luck with them and to teach them litter traing since mommy isnt there to help you wet a small tiney rag with lukewarm water and take them to the litter box and gently dad their parts with it this will make them need to pee etc. thats how the mother would lick them to teach them but your mommy now good luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment