Monday, May 24, 2010

I euthanised my cat 2 days ago and buried her the same day, now I'm in despair?

I don't know if i made the right choice. I didn't put her in a bag, box or casket, just the body, now I almost wish I had her maybe cremated. The thought of her rotting in the ground makes me sick. I almost want to take her out and do a cremation but i don't know. Any other folks bury your beloved pet, just the body? Help please!
Answers:
Bless you. The grief you feel is still very raw. I can empathise a bit because I lost my cat six weeks ago. We couldn't bury her as we have no garden so her body was cremated and they did whatever they normally do with the ashes. I didn't ask for them.
Try to remember that the body of your cat is just that - her body. Her soul has gone over the Rainbow Bridge (Google this under UK sites) where she is free from discomfort and pain.
Don't take her out of the ground - it'll just make your grief worse. Leave her at peace and perhaps put something in the place you buried her as a marker - a plant, a garden ornament - anything which seems appropriate.

Also worth knowing is that the Blue Cross will put up a memorial page for you online free of charge - I've done one for my cat - you can upload a photo and choose whatever words you feel are appropriate for your beloved cat. They also run a pet bereavement service that you can access via phone or e-mail.
I've buried a few of my animals, after they were deceased. I never used a box or anything.

Just keep in mind, your cat is gone. The body is just the body, and not your cat anymore.
Don't think of it as rotting, think of her growing into something else. I know this sounds cheesy, but its perfectly natural. You shouldn't let it make you feel bad. I am sure its the loss in general thats making you feel that way. Srry for that indeed.

:(
I had to do that a few years ago when the only vet in town did not do cremations. We wrapped him in a couple of sheets, and took him to the desert.

Remember, that is only the body. The spirit is wherever cat spirits go. The remains will be recycled to nourish the critters that inhabit the region where your pet is buried - just as it should be.
I'm very sorry for your loss.

No matter what method you chose to deal with the remains of your cat, you would probably have misgivings. I personally have trouble thinking about cremation. Whatever you may believe about the afterlife on animals, the life of your cat is gone now and her physical remains will go through the natural process. What's done is done. You have done nothing wrong. Your concerns about how you buried your cat will likely pass with time.
i've always put them in a box, and burried them deep, then placed a heavy object over the grave for a few weeks for fear of some animal wanting to dig up and eat my pet. whats done is done. i wouldn't dig up ur cat.
Think of it this way.

Her body is becoming part of the circle of life. If your cat was contained in a bag or box it would take a long time before she could fertilize the soil and help plants grow.

This is the way it is supposed to be. Let her become part of the Earth.

What I do when I lose a beloved pet is to bury him or her and plant something in his or her honor, if possible right on top of where I buried the animal.

And think about adopting another cat. While it is not going to take her place, nor should it be expected it, it will help you begin to develop new memories with a new friend and move forward. You'll miss your old friend, but having a new friend will help ease the pain.

Best wishes to you.
I'm sorry for you loss, but realize this...that is not your cat in the ground. That is just her body, her shell. Your cat's spirit and soul is in your heart and she is waiting for you to join her one day up in Heaven at the Rainbow Bridge. It is okay that you put her in the ground. You have returned her to the earth where she will fertilize the soil that will nourish new life in the form of plants. Those plants will then nourish animal life that feeds on the plants. It is the circle of life. I know the pain you feel missing your beloved feline companion. I've gone through it very recently myself. This website helped me tremendously. It's really very beautiful. I hope it helps you on your way towards healing. http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2...
Hello and yes, we've done this a few times, unless it's a BIG animal..then it's not always possible.. never easy to lose pets, but they live 4ever in your hearts %26 thoughts, as do the people we love who we lose to death.. in my opinion, euthanization beats pain %26 suffering death :) Sorry for your loss, it's just Nature taking it's course hun, you did good !Take Care :)
All except one of my cats are buried in my back yard. They're wrapped in a towel, got a few treats and then buried with a small prayer over their grave. She's at peace now, and you sound like a caring and loving owner so I'm sure that she was either sick or in pain for you to make this hard decision. Her body might be buried but her spirit is with you.

Find a nice plant and place it by your grave, or get a big stone as a headstone.

Prayers to you.
Yes, I've done this quite a few times, I've had many special cats.
They want to go back to the earth, back to nature, where they belong. You might want to set out colorful marbles at the burial site, to decorate it.
It is very hard (really tough last year, when 3 of my cats died of old age). One thing that really helps is writing a memorial about your cat, posting it on your blog, or just writing it in a special book at home (I keep mine in the "Pet Name Book", in the margins, so I'll know where the writings are). Get your memories about your cat down, the special things they did, how you got them, how you named them, how brave and special they were, and anything else you remember. Writing this down in will give you some peace.
Get their photograph up on your bulletin board, somewhere where you can remember them. Know that their lives are short, and special, and remember their qualities.
I usually bury them under a new flower tree or shrub. That way they have a natural grave marker. And because it is ashes to ashes and dust to dust your kitty is giving life to the plant tree or shrub as everything is returned to the earth.

So go to a garden center and pick out something appropriate and dress up her burial grounds.

I am sorry for your loss!
You can't do anything about it. Well you could, but it wouldn't be worth it. When people cremate animals, how do you know they aren't just putting some cigarette ashes in a box and saying 'here's fluffy's ashes'. Since you buried your cat, it will turn into nutrients to feed other things. It might make you feel better to plant some flowers on top to know that your cats body is turning into something nice. We did almost the same thing when our rabbit died. (except it was run to death by some dogs after it had escaped a couple months earlier). When it had escaped we just let it go because my sisters weren't doing a good job taking care of her. She lived the whole winter and would even come over to us for food. Then when she died we buried her without anything in our flower bed so her nutrients would go to the flowers.
I'm sure that you are just grieving over your lost pet, and that is to be expected. I agree with the others, that it's just a body... the spirit is where all animals go, and I prefer that they go to heaven, as we do. I am so sorry for your loss,as I have been there also, and I don't know what your situation is with other pets, but I personally would not wait a very long time to get another one. It will make your grieving much easier to handle...no... a new one will not take the place of the one that you lost ( you will always remember that one) but you will find one that you will love just as much , and it will be a big help in the grieving process!!! Bless you!!!
I've buried two cats and I know how hard it is emotionally. I am so sorry for your loss. The one thing you have to remember is that you did make the right choice, and that the time that you had your cat, she knew for a fact that you loved her, and she left this planet knowing that you did. You will be in my prayers, i know it seems really hard right now, but you will be able to get through this. Take care.
I'm so sorry you are having a hard time dealing with this. It's so tough to lose a good friend and it's often hard accept what you've had done with the remains afterwards because you still want them there with you. This is totally normal. Loss is huge! And you are grieving, understandably. I have buried many furry friends in the past and none of them is easier than the last. As recently as last year I had to bury my cat that I had with me for over 12 years, that was so hard. I layed him to rest as you did and made a little monument there where I put flowers (fake ones because the wild animals eat the real ones) over his grave. I put a cement block over where he was buried so nothing could dig him up.

Remember that your cat is no longer there in the ground, only the body is there but your kitty has gone to whereever they go after life here on earth. We came from the earth and we are put back into the earth when we are buried. God Bless you in your time of loss. It's hard to believe but it will get easier to deal with. Hugs!
I am so sorry for you. Whisket (my 10 yr. old cat) got hit 3 years ago in front of the house. I buried him in the backyard and don't regret it. He's a part of the earth but he's still not gone...almost as if he was cremated only I don't have him with me. You know all pets are unique and have their own personalities. Out of all the cats I've had, none are like him and although he's gone, I can still remember his wacky, ways. It will take sometime but soon enough, you'll start to remember your precious little one with a smile on your face. When you're able, get another one...they won't replace your loved one but you've got to go on and it will be good for you.
Everyone has to do what THEY feel is right. If you're comfortable with what you did then you made the right choice. But apparently you're NOT comfortable with what you did, so my advice to you is to find some way to put your heart and mind at as much peace as possible. No one can tell you how to do that, but maybe it will help if I tell you what I did not long ago. One of my kitties died, and it broke my heart. I wrapped him up and put him in a box and left him that way for a few hours, because I couldn't decide what to do. I didn't want to toss him in a hole in the ground and leave him there all alone. My mind knew that it was just a lifeless body, but I couldn't convince my heart. After thinking for a while, I remembered that I had a huge flower pot in my shed. So this is what I did: I added a little dirt to the pot, one of my shirts that my cat loved to lay on, and then I layed my kitty in the pot on top of my shirt. I added the rest of the dirt and planted a small rose bush in the pot. I feel at peace now, because I feel sort of like my kitty is living through the rose bush. Maybe you would feel better if you give your kitty a plant, too. Whatever your decision, hang in there. Time doesn't necessarily heal wounds, but the pain does lessen. I'm sorry for your loss. 鈾?
I buried my baby cat in the yard. I wanted her to be able to return to the earth, so I didn't put her in a box or anything. I thought it was the most natural thing do to with her.

I'm sorry for your loss. Hang in there. (((hugs)))
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Sorry for your loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment