Friday, May 21, 2010

I adopted a cat 2 years ago and he sprayed ALL over my flat...i had him neutered but he still sprays !!!?

my flat was totally covered in it,bed clothes,carpet-you name it!
i had him sprayed after 6 months and was fine at first,then began to do it again.

i moved to a house and he became an outdoor cat and loved it - he only weed on newspaper i put down in the kitchen.

i have recently moved to a new house and had a catflap fitted so he can go out as he pleases and he loves it..except when he does come in the house he wees.

the worst one was on my bed shortly after we moved in- went right through my pillows,duvet,and mattress.

he's also taken to weeing on the settee and the corner of the living room.

a friend told me to spray everything with lemongrass oil diluted with water. he definitely hates the smell but it doesn't stop him doing it and always goes for the corner.

if i put a tray down in that spot he will just wee next to it.

i love him with all my heart but i could just kill the little bugger at the moment!

he knows it's naughty as he scarpers when caught!!!
Answers:
Been there dealt with that I finally decided if I am doing everything I can to give this cat a loving home and he is destroying it then fine he is now outside only to come in for a few moments of petting and brushing and he's alot happier also. Its just their nature they are marking their territory. I tried all the sprays they don't work, I felt it made it worse because he could no longer smell his scent so he had to redo it.Go Figure. My suggestion Boot him out and let him scent the outdoors. You can love them just as much, and they still feel loved. Good luck!


Give me thumbs down for giving that advice, look I have expensive Persians and trust me my home and the smell of my home is worth more to me than allowing a pet to ruin what I work hard to accomplish! I am a Big Cat lover and would never mistreat them they are alot more happy outdoors when they were inside no where near as happy.
even though you have had him done he will keep one spraying but it should not smell if it does he has not been done wright.
every time he does it,grab him and pi55 on him see how he likes it!!!!! why the thumbs down?ok,sorry don"t pee on him...kick it..: ;-)
My cat did this. Despite having his nuts nipped, he continued to scent mark all over the house. You can actually buy from most pet shops a spray that smells quite odourless to humans but is supposed to be quite nasty smelling to cats, which stops them from weeing. My cat is no longer with me, so I don't have the spray any more to tell you what its called, but if you looks at the pets at home website, you should be able to find it on there.
It's because you have moved to a new house. He is a bit insecure and he is just spreading his scent around the house. Did the previous people who lived there have a cat? It does just sound like insecurity, it has nothing to do with whether he is neutered or not. Just keep spraying the oil absolutely everywhere, keep his area free of it of course and pay him lots of attention apart from when you know he has sprayed again, even if you have to chase him around the house to keep an eye on him. Ask your vet for more advice too, he may have some more solutions.
You have a problem. What you need to do to get rid of the smell is buy an enzyme cleaner for urine. Walmart has (pet stain and odor remover) for about $9 for a half gallon. Which is how much it sounds like you need. You need to wet everything he peed on and leave it wet for however long the package says. This product will eat the pee smell and he will not smell a place to go to the bathroom. Cat's noses are very sensitive and can smell the urine, even is we put flowery smelly stuff there (or a plant to cover it). If he is going to the same spot, after you clean it, maybe put a litter box there.
It is a difficult issue to resolve and I really feel for you - fortunately I have never had the problem but my friend does. Her cat has been castrated and he still sprays when anything upsets him - and contrary to what has been said it does still smell - and she is the most house proud person imaginable. I am sure he does it for the sheer hell of it and watching her reaction!!!

She tried felliway which helped calm him down and does all she can to keep things the same and not upset him. She did not find the sprays very successful...

Though are you sure he is spraying - your description could be that he is urinating which may be resolvable by recourse to a behaviourist.

good luck and you have my sympathy
I'm quite surprised that no one has suggested taking him to the vets and checking he doesn't have a UTI. I'd do that first.

Here's what I'd do (after buying the cleaner and thoroughly washing your house):
1) Watch him outside and see where he likes weeing - on grass, in the flower bed etc.
2) Fill a litter tray with that substance and put it in the kitchen.
3) Only let him in the kitchen and follow him like a woman possessed. When he tries to scent pick him up and put him in the litter tray. Keep repeating this.
4) Don't let him in the house unless you're there, and follow him around.
5) At night he becomes an outdoors cat. If you've a shed then open that up for him.

After a couple of months you'll have hopefully broken his habit and can begin introducing new rooms (but always under supervision).
I have the same problem...just not as severe. My cat sprays because there is an outside cat that comes along and he is marking his territory around all the windows. I bought this spray stuff from a pet store that is supposed to stop him. I don't really know if it worked but you could try it. He stopped about 2-3 weeks after his operation. We always rubbed his nose in it. What i've found recently that he pees in my sink (thank god its the sink) when his litterbox is not cleaned, Hopefully that's your problem because its a quick fix. We use that clumping litter and I think it works too well. Good luck with kitty!
if you waited till he started spraying before you got him neutered then the vet should of told you that there is highly chances of it not stopping and once his started you can not stop it whatever you do all these products wont do anything if he wants to spray something he is going to do it no matter what you have covered it in.

When you get a cat neutered you need to get them done before they spray that way it will definately stop it otherwise your taking a very huge smelly risk.
hi i world ,your cat sprays . my cat ather was doing that to but when i got hem sprays it stop he doing that in my flat

No comments:

Post a Comment