Monday, May 24, 2010

I got my cat Kovu when he was a kitten. And he always like to suck on my ears and shirt like I was his mother.

Now he's a year old and still does it. I'm pretty sure he considers me his mom since I've taken care of him so long. But I figured it was something he would grow out of...does anyone else have this problem?
Answers:
This happens mostly when a kitten is taken from it's mother too soon. I got a 4 week old kitten a couple of years ago from a shelter and she did it all her life. It's for comfort. I never was able to make mine stop. My baby died last week and I would give the world to have her "knead" me again. Enjoy your kitty.
i had one cat from kitten who did that. i don't find it a problem
but not your ears
Most domesticated cats think their owner is their mother/father. My cat will bury its head in my ample stomach, but probably best to discourage yours from ear sucking.
I'm sure your cat knows that you are not his biological mother, but he does see you as his caretaker. He his showing you love and care. This also shows that he respects and trusts you and feels comfortable around you. Also an animal is not going to break a habit that they enjoy unless they are told to. If it doesn't bother you, let the cat have his way.
Habit. Was he hand reared?
I hand reared a kitten and he still did it into his teens.
it means that he was weened to soon good luck on getting it stopped but i wouldn't let it suck on my ears... good luck
Hello there, I have recently lost my most beloved torti cat, right from when I had her from a kitten she did the same thing I believe that she was taken from her mother from a very early age she was sixteen when she died but considered me her mum right up to the end, so doubt if he will grow out of this. Personally I think this is a most endearing habit and miss my cats attentions, but she was very spoiled and ruled the house, what am I saying she owned it!

Anyway do not worry this is natural and hope you have a long and happy life with your little poppet as I did with mine. I have to admit although I have six cats now I would love to have her back, so enjoy while you still can.

Good luck and best wishes
My mother had a cat that did that.Its a habit for him.If u allow him to do that he will allways do that.U need to tell him no and not let him do that in time he will stop it.
I have a cat that sucks my thumb,got her from people who neglected her. But I agree it's a problem that occurrs when the kitten is separated from its mother too young. 12 weeks is recommended.
I had a cat that liked to sneak up at night, stick her tongue in my ears and lick them. She was a "runt of the litter" cat and did this throughout her life, which was a fairly normal lifespan at 13 years.

The cat I have now (another female giveaway "runt") started out by suckling on my neck, right under the chin, while kneading my upper chest with her paws. She would also do this at night with a loud sucking sound. I figured this was some kind of comfort for her, that I was her surrogate "mother." I lost sleep but it seemed to placate her restlessness.

She also waits outside the shower and jumps onto my back when I come out, wrapping all four paws around as best she can, as if to give me a big bear hug. She's always done this and howls if I take too long bathing (maybe her sibs were drowned?).

After about six years, she doesn't do the sucking thing so much, but rather puts her wet nose right under my chin at night and kneads as before. Sometimes she licks my face affectionately.

I could always push her away, but I wonder what kind of insecurity led to this behavior, and whether deprivation would actually benefit her.

Interestingly, she has also alternately displayed aggressive tendencies, including swatting and biting me. This is more likely if I am busy and not minding her enough. Whatever insecurity she has, it runs deep.

After lots of trial and error, I have found that when she craves attention, fussing over her seems to satisfy her need for closeness. I chase her around in games of tag, pretending to nip at her neck with my hand when she lies down in surrender (mimics kitten play). I throw a little dish pad up in the air that she loves to catch (she starts running in anticipation of the toss), stroke her fur when she greets me upon arrival, and snuggle with her when she's in the mood. Basically, the preemptive affection seems to have made her more secure.

While it takes more of my time and energy to do these things, it seems to have mitigated her violent outbursts.

I have often thought in the past of getting rid of her, but I was pretty sure nobody else would put up with her tendencies. I felt it was my job to figure her out and tame her. After much experimentation and lots of cooperation on my part, the gamble seems to have paid off. She rarely displays aggression, and her affectionate behavior is more acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment