Friday, May 21, 2010

Hypoallergenic cats?

My dad is allergic to cats, but he says if I can find a breed he isn't allergic to, i might be able to get one. what kind of breeds are there that are hypoallergenic, and not pricy? I know about siberian cats, but they sell for around $1,000 at lowest.
Answers:
Most people confuse the terminology of hypoallergenic and non-allergic. these words are thrown around and many think that they are interchangeable..they are not.

Hypoallergenic means lowered allergies to the sensitive folks. Non- allergic means no reaction by anyone at any time.

There are several breeds which are lower in the FEL-D1 dander level Siberians are one of those.

Other folks swear by the Devon Rex, Cornish Rex and syhypx. Then we have the fans of Siamese and Abyssinians that profess that they are hypoallergenic.

As a Siberian breeder I can tell you that you can find Siberians priced lower than 1000. I sell mine for less than that.
You also need to remember than any other pedigreed cat that I have mentioned about is not low in price.

WHY?? because most professional breeders like myself do not believe in working for free.

If anyone expects us to do that then my response is *i'll give them away for free just as soon as I see you handing your paycheck back to your boss and say *no thanks I'm working for free*.

Breeding is hard work and sometime a thankless profession.

You want a pedigree hypoallergenic cat, then may I suggest that you set yourself long range goals and save for the kitten of your dreams.
There is no such thing as hypoallergenic cats. If it is, then that's something new to me. All cats are allergic to some people, because they shedd hair. And all cats shedds hair.
Also , shedding hair means [dander].
The Devon Rex breed is known as a hypoallergenic cat. They have very short fine hair and do not shed as much as other cats. There is no such thing as a real hypoallergenic cat but some people can tolerate these cats better than others so it could work. They are pricey like 600-1000 but you may be able to find one at a breed rescue shelter.
hate to say it because most people hate cats that aren't fluffy...and these cats look like skinny rats...but have you seen Austin Powers II? Mr. Bigellsworth is called a hairless cat and they exist in real life...I saw one at a pet store for bout $400 once, however that one was a mix breed I'm sure and besides it probably be better to look at animal shelters first...or try petfinder.com
good luck
ps, your dad could take allergy medicine?

No comments:

Post a Comment