Friday, May 21, 2010

I am overseas and had to leave my cat behind for 6 months. Will she remember me when I get home?

My cat loved only me and use to follow me around like a dog. I'm worried she won't remember me when I get back. She is still at my house where she has always lived. I have a friend taking care of her.
Answers:
Yes, she will remember you. Many years ago, I had to go overseas for a year, and coud not even return home for holidays. I had left 5 cats at home, with only my husband for company. I thought they would forget me, but when I returned, they recognised my voice almost immediatly and came running to say hello and be petted. My husband told me that while I was gone, they made themselves very scarce when visitors arrived though. I was extremely pleased to know that they had not forgotten me. They did follow me around for weeks afterwards, as if they were scared I would leave them again!
yes she will remember you %26 when you return she will be so very happy to see you
I assume you've had her for a while, and if so, she'll definitely remember you when you return.
Yeah she will remember you by smell at first she will smell you and then she will start to be as close to you as she was befor you left(i have 4 cats i should know)
Yes, I had a cat for many years at my parents home. When I moved I was not able to take her with me, and I did not see her for almost a year. When I saw her again, it took a few minutes, but after hearing my voice and petting her, she was soon purring and back to her old self. Animals have remarkable memories sometimes. It may take some time, but I am 100% sure that she will remember you.
If she was that devoted to you, she will remember you. She may punish you for leaving her by ignoring you for hours or days when you return, though. Eventually she will forgive you.
Keep smiling and think of her...she will remember you.see if your friend can let you "talk to her" so she can hear you "call" her.6 months seems like a long time but it is not.and especially since she is still in your home, which smells like you...it will be easier!
:)
I'm sure your cat will remember you. I moved overseas five years ago and when I go back home to visit my mum, her cat always remembers me.

I think the fact that she's at your old home is ideal as your belongings are there and so your scent is still there to reassure her. As much as we like to flatter ourselves, very often cats bond with their home almost as much as they do with their owner, so I think it will be quite easy for you to slip back into your previous relationship with your cat when you return home.

I bet you miss her a lot. Good luck.
When I came home after my tour in Iraq the cats were waiting by the door for me.
i personally believe that animals have reactions similar to humans . so if you had your cat from a young age and you took care of it ,then i am sure that she will remember you and actually will be very happy to see you when you go back.

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem but my boy is 18 years old and I have had to leave him in Italy for 6 months before I can bring him home. I am his mummy and we are so close, he always frets if I go away even for a couple of days. He goes off looking for me, and is so like a dog in his behaviour. He has been with me since birth and we have always been together.I am breaking my heart over it and having nightmares that something will happen to him before I ever see him again as he is now so old. He is staying in the home of my vet so very warm and cosy and she gives him his medication ok but I know he needs me and feel like I have just abandoned him. These laws are so cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to go overseas and leave my 15 year old cat at home with my husband. Originally Felix was my cat but when husband moved in then there were the three of us and later four.

    I feel now guilty and am heartbroken as he passed away a good week ago. He had been quiet for some time and my husband had the intention to bring him to the vet the following morning but sadly Felix did not make it. It was a sudden death, he had climbed on my husband's chest gone to the bathroom and when he came back he just collapsed and screamed. We were so devastated and there is such a sadness in our hearts because of the loss of our beloved pet. The worst thing is that I keep blaming myself of having neglected Felix, never having gone back to our home to see him as my husband travels to see us.....

    ReplyDelete