Monday, May 24, 2010

I got my cat Elliot 1 yr ago He still will not let me pet him. What can I do ??

I also have another cat Sophie she is very loveable.
Someone please help.
Answers:
My dad got a cat, they told him that was very lovey and loved to be petted, to be held and to sit on laps. When we got her, she didn't want any of those things, especially to be held.

I would periodically pick her up and hold her snugly so she couldn't get away from me. When I released her, I moved from snug hold to completely open all at once, so that it was clear that I was deciding to release her, and she wasn't escaping. Start off for brief periods of time, like maybe 10 seconds at first. Do this a couple times a day, and in a couple of months your cat will actually want to be picked up and held (or at least tolerate it well).
all i got is to just maybe stay away from him for a couple fo days and maybe let him have his space. or u can maybe feed him treats
You mean to tell me, you have had your cat for a year and have'nt petted him once!
Cats are not like dogs. A person does not choose a cat for a friend. The cat chooses a person for a friend. If you already have one that loves you, the other can sense that and since some cats are aloof to being petted and pampered by people, it will avoid you until it wants to be loved also.
This happened to me in a way. My one cat is very loveable and the other is not so. He would harldy let you pet him or play with him. But it changed, now you can never get the other cat off you. So I think it will just take time.
If Elliot had a previous owner, maybe he was abused, making it difficult for him to trust humans. If not, then he'll come around in his own time. Just give him lots of attention. They're like children..right?
Like each person each cat has a personality. Some love to be petted and some do not. I have a cat that likes to be petted but will not sit in your lap and does not like to be held. On the other hand my mothers cat is a lap cat all the way and stays at her side. Just differences in kitty personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment