Friday, May 21, 2010

I adopted a 4-year-old cat. She absolutely will not let me trim her nails. Help!?


Answers:
If the cat will not allow you to trim her nails, take her to a veterinarian or a groomer, and ask them to do so. They know what they are doing, and should be able to do it for you.

Also, do a Google search, there are alternatives to nail-trimming and declawing.
Take her to the groomers or to your vet, they'll also show you the best and quickest way to trim them yourself.
The Canine %26 Feline Behaviour Centre
You may have to tranquilize her. I groom dogs and cats, and I have a lot of clients who have to go to the vet before they bring their animals to me for grooming. The vets will give them either a pill or injection to tranquilize them. Some animals are just nervous Nelly's when it comes to their nails or the sounds of clippers. I have a German Shepherd that I got from the Humane Society, she's about 4 years old as well. I can not even touch her front paws let alone trim her nails at all, and a pill for a tranquilizer doesn't hardly touch her, she has to be totally knocked cold so the vet can trim her nails. It is a really costly $ thing to have done. I think someone hurt her in the past and it was a traumatic thing she has never forgotten since she will take your hand off if you even try. Otherwise, she is a really great mellow dog.
well most cats do not to get their claws trimmed
You might want to hold her a lot and play with her toes a lot. Once she gets used to you playing with her toes and touching them, then she will not go crazy when you trim. It may take a couple of weeks of playing with her toes, for her to trust you enough to try to trim them. You will be able to tell when it no longer bothers her.
My cats don't like getting their nails trimmed either. Alot of the times we used two people, one would hold the cat and the other would trim the nails. One cat was especially difficult so we took him to the vet.
take her to a vet or if the cat is a heavy sleeper do it then it works for me
I also trim my cat's nails when he's sleeping otherwise, he'll play with the trimmer :)

good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment