Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How do you stop a cat from biting?

I have a year old cat. She is very affectionate, but sometimes she gets into wrestling/biting moods. She is not trying to hurt, but I am concerned when kids or others may want to play with her. I do not want her playfullness to scare someone else. Does anyone have any suggestions for gently getting her out of this habit??
Answers:
Here is an excellent site that tells how to get cats and kittens to stop biting. It also tells you why they bite.
She might be thinking your a prey or something so her hunter instincts tell her to pounce. Try and firmly tell her 'no' when she pounces on you or anybody else.
My cat is the same!
It is instinctual hunting behavior. Getting rid of it would probably involve hurting the cat in some way. You are probably better off just warning people about the behavior, or shutting the cat away when company comes around. Luckily, she'll grow out of it somewhat once she's a little more mature.
i say every time it bites you make it bite its tail if it works than thank me
Have you ever seen kids start wrestling and get carried away until someone gets hurt? It's not intentional but it happens.
I think when cats bite it is pretty much the same thing.

I'm not sure you can stop the biting unless you can control the wrestling and prevent her from getting carried away.

However, if anyone does ask to play with her, simply warn them that she sometimes gets carried away and bites.
I trained my cat not to bite by hissing at him when he got too rough. He learned my threshold for pain eventually and we could still play. Never hit your cat, it makes things worse.
tapping her on her nose when she bites u and telling no she'll understand that word after a couple taps hopefully lol
ok this will sound weird but I have a cat sanctuary and have discovered something about play biting. When your cat bites you, if she is just playing, make a YOW sound in a high pitched voice. It is similar to the sound kittens make when they are playing and one gets too rough. She may either stop biting you altogether or bite less hard. I have cats that will refuse to bite me after I make that noise. You will have to do it every time she bites you. It only works for play biting, not if she bites you because she is mad and doesn't work for clawing, just play biting. Give it a try and see if it works.
When she nips you. it means she loves you that's why she does it when she's being affectionate. Id leave her to it unless she starts to hurt people
Teach her the word no when she does it. She will learn over time. Some times they bite just in playing.
My cat gets like that when she gets too playfully. I just stop playing with her and she gets the message. You could try saying no when she does it. She is not trying to harm anyone just wants to play. You can also bite back.my husband does...in a nice way just to play.

Good Luck.
Hello. This is common. My 2 cats are the same. My Grandma trained her cat to stop this by gently flicking the nose of her cat when he did this. It doesn't hurt, or make them not love you in any way, but it does get their attention! My Grandma's cat still LOVES to play, but knows not to bite, and keeps his claws sheathed when he's playing!!
Since she is only a year old you could try by just tapping her on the nose or anytime she wants to play put coverage over the arm your getting to play with her with.

No comments:

Post a Comment