Sunday, August 2, 2009

How well do cats heal?

My cat was attacked by 2 dogs last week. She had major surgery on her stomach and had a drain taken out yesterday. Where the drain was it is an open hole! The vet said that this was ok, but I am panicking as it looks quite big.

Is this normal and how long will it take to heal?
Answers:
the cat will heal fine..
Cats seem to heal very quickly. I bet in about a week she will be feeling sooo much better! The hole is fine, give it a little for the skin to tighten back up...
Cats are made of the same stuff as us - have you ever noticed how quickly open wounds close with us? In this case, I'd trust your vet. There's a reason my cats are said to have nine lives - they're tough as old boots!
poor kitty, why did you alow this to happen to your poor cat?! you should be arrested for animal cruelty! you should have had your cat taken away from you.
it's always a good idea to have a second opinion. go see another vet to put your mind at peace.
If the vet's aware and ok with it, and your cat seems to be doing ok, considering the circumstances, I'd watch it closely for any sign of swelling or infection, but if it seems ok, to at least wait until Monday, unless she seems to be struggling - take her temperature a few times to establish a baseline, maybe; that might give you an indicator of any changes, too...

I wish you both the best of luck and a speedy recovery :)
I had a cat that was killed by a dog...and she wasn't even outside! I'm glad your kitty is alive. About 6 years ago I had a roommate who got a vicious dog and then she insisted on bringing her dog into my room after I told her no. Her dog got one look at my cat and later that evening he busted my door down to hunt the cat.

I was so pissed. I told her not to get that stupid vicious dog! I did everything in my power to help my cat but the dog made a killing bite the moment he grabbed her. The only thing I could do was run my other cat to the bathroom and then I came back to beat the dog senseless and try to get my kitty from him. That was one of the worst experiences of my life. Now I have 2 cat friendly dogs, and it's not as though I allowed that bloodthirsty dog to attack my cat, I hope I never see my old roommate ever again. As you can imagine, our association ended on REALLY bad terms as a result of her crazed new dog. I miss that cat all the time.
Yes it's normal. The drain was inserted because there will have been a big empty space ('dead space') after the surgery that would have filled up with fluid if it was not allowed to drain. This is usual with bite wounds.

Cats heal at the same rate as humans do. However they deal with pain better (not that they don't feel it as much, it's just that it slows them down less). You just need to keep this area clean (i.e. don't let the cat outside) until the drain hole has fully healed - probably about another 2 weeks

Can I just add, with sort of question it's best to pick up the phone and call the vet who has treated the animal. People talk some right rubbish on here - I might be for all you know!

Chalice
Hi so sorry 4U %26 Cats. Cat's are fast healers, but like horses they heal from depth of wound up. So vets allow this. Keep it clean, open to drain, keep-Cat inside, so open wound is not picking up dirty stuff. [my cat loves horse barn %26 mice]
Speed, hinges on genenral health, some viti-tabs. Or if like mine brewers yeast wet mixed into food. 4 of my cats will chew the breawers yeast tabs I take. but I wet them to release the aroma, %26 intice. give Extra play time %26 gental grooming so they know U DO_Care. Mental health is important to any sick animal. Wash cats bedding often. I use bar towels so I can bleach em. 2-me their cat towels. My barn cat is also a swimer %26 lays in mud.
I have never had a cat have those kind of operations, but with the common surgeries (like spaying and neutering) my cats have healed very quickly. I spayed my kitten about 3 weeks ago and her hair has fully grown back over that area, and you cannot even see the scar. My male cat was neutered before I got him (like 2 weeks before) and I couldn't even see the scar! I'm sure your cat will heal quickly as well!

Good luck, and I hope your cat gets better soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment