Sunday, August 2, 2009

How to get rid of fleas?

I have a room that is infested with fleas. I am scared to use anything b/c a cat lives in that room. does anyone know of a way to get rid of fleas safely?
Answers:
If you don't want to use flea bombs, which you have to leave the house empty for a few hours then you can

First, Bath your cat regularly, wash anything in the room that you can launder, use a flea powder on the floor, that you can vacuum up and then a home trick my mom has used is take a bowl and pour green dish washing liquid in it and place it on the floor, put a desk lamp right over top of the bowl turned on and leave it over night. The fleas jump to the light and get into the dish washing liquid and it gets rid of them. Why green? I have no idea that is what someone told my mom and it works. so best of luck.
Use Frontline on the cat. Ask the vet about the room.
fleas powder...
start off with a fleas comb theres one made especially for cats
use borax. you can find borax at walmart. its cheap and you can find it in the laundry isle. (where you find laundry soap) the best one to use is 20 mule team. my cat was infested with fleas and that is what we used to get the fleas out of our room. there is also a device you can plug into the wall that sends a electronic pulse in your room that fleas and other pests cant stand.you can find that at any pet store. this might sound weird but you can bathe your cat in diluted vinegar too. fleas hate vinegar and its safe for your cat to clean off itself. the only problem with vinegar is that it causes loose bowels. if that doesnt work email me and let me know!
Step1.
Take the cat OUT of the room.
Step 2.
Get rid of the fleas on the cat.
Step3.
Find another room for the cat to be in for a while.
Step4.
Get rid of the fleas in the room.
Step5.
:)
Put the cat back in the room.
Best thing first is to get the cat flea dipped. It doesn't sound as bad as it sounds. they get a bath where it kills the fleas . I did that before .. best thing that worked. Don't bring her home till all fleas are gone from house.
Yep I said house .. they seem to be in one room like I thought.

I had a proffesional sprayer come thru my house.

take your kitty in right away the poor thing. Do you like mosquito's after you?? same irritating thing happening with your cat.

Then get advantage, my cat never gets fleas again. I don't let her outside either, too dangerous.

people who let their cats outside are uncaring , unresponsible cat owners because of all the danger their cat is in when they go outside.
Our current home was INFESTED with fleas when we first moved in (due to a dog who lived here previously). The fleas... OMG... they were everywhere. It was enough to make me think I was going nuts. I can only imagine the hell our poor cat was going through. And the fleas only got worse and worse despite my home treatments, including many of the ideas suggested above.

Finally, when I was ready to lose it, we broke down and shelled out the cash for a professional pest control service. They came in and did their thing, and came back again a few weeks later to get any that were missed the first time. During both visits, we checked our cat into the vet's office/kennel for a couple of days so he was not exposed. In the meantime, he was treated with Advantage Flea Medicine.

He never got sick from any of it and we have never had a flea problem since. Worth every penny!
buy advantage flea killer for the cat. some fleas will get poisoned from being on the protected cat and not be able to breed so soon all fleas will be gone. worked for me! takes a few days...
They have a new product called REVOLUTION.They gave it to us from the vet today.gets rid of fleas ticks and earmites
Be careful. There are products that are safe for dogs that can be dangerous to cats. Here's a good article to read:
http://www.catchannel.com/care/fleas/art...
I've had a dog for 15 years and a two cats for about ten years. this is what works and what doesn't for me:

I use Adams flea%26tick shampoo to bathe the animals. This gets rid of the majority of the fleas but they'll be back in about a week if you don't treat the carpet.

I use a flea powder on the carpet. Remove the pets for a day and powder the carpet. Use a broom to sweep the powder and work it into the carpet. leave it for about 4 hours. Then vacuum the powder thoroughly. This works completely for me.

I've had two summers that fleas attacked really bad on my pets. Shampoo only worked for about a week. The carpet powder was the only solution that worked for me. The Advantage oils that you apply to your pet's neck did not work. Neither did a flea collar. They reduced the problem but not nearly a solution.
Frontline on the cat. BOMB the house!!!
7 Dust!!
If you won't use a chemical pestiside, try mothballs (hung in closets) or Tea Tree oil sprinkles on fabric and flooring.
You could kill them or open the window so they can fly away or leave it that way!That's a good question you know.I think I had it once i forgot so anyway do it or leave it.It's always the best to do and remember that you can kill them with a shoe or something and open the window .O yeah theres something else you can get a net with no holes or get a jar and open the window and let them free.
frontline, worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment