Sunday, August 2, 2009

How to travel 1,000+ miles in a car with a cat?

i will be moving back to california from montana in a few monthes and i was wondering how i should go about doing that with a cat on boared?
Answers:
I did this twice. From MN to GA and then from GA to OR. The first time I used sedatives -- hated it. I felt very badly for my cats because they were so out of it. The second time, no sedatives and I think things went better.

I used carriers to transport the cats to / from the car. Once in the car, I ended up letting the cats out of the carriers. This depends on the cat though -- you don't want a cat anywhere near your feet when you're driving! Mine were more calm this way. They settled on top of laundry baskets after about an hour of howling.

I put a disposable litter box in the car that they always had access to, and a bowl with just a little water in -- less to spill.

My car windows and doors were always kept firmly closed whenever the cats weren't in the carriers. Whenever I had to open a car door, the cats went into their carriers first. If I had to crack open a window, I leashed them and tied the leashes to something in the car. I *never* let the cats be loose with a car window or door open even a little bit.

Be prepared for a lot of yowling -- ear plugs might be a good idea.
Hopefully your cat is used to a leash if not -Get the kitty ready for it now and then just like when taking a dog make a stop every 3-4 hours and walk him/her and remember to take a water dish and water bottle for him!Have a safe trip and great ride!
Transport him in a cat crate, make sure water is available at all times. Above all else make sure he is well ventilated! Cars kill many pets each year by overheating!
I moved from Calif to Illinois with a cat. Prior to moving I bought him a nice sized carrier, one that has a front opening door and significant places where the cat could see out. I set up the carrier in an area he liked to sleep and put his bedding in there. So by the time we were ready to go, my cat was associating the carrier with a bed.

I placed the carrier on the back seat. When I first started I kept Mr. Kitty in the carrier with the carrier closed. When I stopped I would open the carrier door and let him use the litter box, which was set up on the floor of the back seat area. I also had a non-tip water dish and dry cat food for him. As we traveled Kitty became so used to the car that I was able to leave the carrier door open which allowed him to get to the litter box and food whenever he wanted.

I think each cat is different about car rides. Initially for this same cat I had taken him from LA to San Diego. I had him on a leash with the food, water and litter in the back seat. He freaked. He meowed all the way. He did not like being able to see out, so the carrier gave him a security place. You will need to experiment and see what your cat wants. Good luck.
Is your car air conditioned?

How many days will the trip take?

Is your cat microchipped and have a breakaway collar with rabies tags on him?

Your cat NEEDS the security and safety of a carrier -- make sure the door closes securey and the carrier is well putt together so nothing opens up accidentally. Cat carrier would be best on the passenger's seat so you can reassure cat.

Do not try to walk your cat on a leash -- most cats are NOT leash friendly -- many cats have broken away from collars and leashes and gotten lost or killed on the road.

Will you be stopping at a motel on the way (make sure ahead-of-time that it is pet-friendly). At the motel, make sure the cat does not run out the door or hide in an area where he will be hard to retrieve whe you are ready to leave.

Cat needs a large enough carrier for a litter box (fasten it to the floor of the carrier so it does not slide around.

Cat needs water and food dishes.

Car MUST be airconditioned at all times if it is hot outside (even if it is 70 degrees, the car can heat up to 100 degrees in no time at all), even if windows are open. If you leave the car with the engine running and the AC on-- many bad things can happen -- theft (goodbye cat!!!), or engine can stall and car interior will get very hot.

Feed cat sparingly so it does not throw up. But do feed it. Check to make sure cat is comfy -- no panting.

Put pee pads in carrier in case cat pukes or has pee/poopy accident. IF you really really need to open the carrier door (which I do not recommend) for any reason whatsoever, be careful the cat does not run out of the car!

Your vet MIGHT want to prescribe a safe tranquilizer you can give your cat before you put it in the carrier.

If this sounds like alot to do -- it is not -- it's just a series of One At A Time things that need to be done-- I would do the same thing if I had to move my 2 cats.

When you arrive at your new location, keep the carrier -- leave the door open -- keep the cat INDOORS and in one room so he gets used to your new place. I hope your cat is already an indoor kitty-- their lives are much safer that way. Many indoor-outdoor kitties who have moved to new homes run away becuz they are not used to their new homes.

Reassure kitty-- and enjoy your new home !!!
Hello ..a WIRE crate is best with stops of course %26 NOT forgetting the cat inside when you do stop..a car can heat up %26 kill VERY quickly, even with windows down, especially with summer weather...it may not eat well while your doing this %26 the cat will stress, they aren't much on car rides usually...so potty might not be a problem..I'd have a crate big enough to hold a small litter box, some food %26 water, when you stop for rests...but I sure wouldn't let the cat out off the crate till you reach your desination %26 it acclimates for a few days @ least in it's new home, it's gonna be freaked if not used to being in cars or leash trained, which few cats are or can be unless trained from kittenhood, you let the cat out on the way, it's gonna bolt like lightening %26 never be seen again if you don't have the time to acclimate the cat to rides !! Take Care :)
First question - how well does your cat do in the car? If not well, I highly recommend a homeopathic product called "Rescue Remedy". It was a lifesaver on my 1200+ mi move with 2 cats (1 of which hyperventilates in the car). Also, if catnip mellows your cat, get plenty! Another lifesaver for me.
You can talk to your vet about prescriptions, but I would have been required to give each of them a pill every 2 hrs. That wasn't going to happen!
I also recommend stops to let kitty out to run (on a leash) or roll in the grass. Offer him food %26 water at these stops. Don't be surprised if he doesn't eat %26 drink normally during the trip. It's as stressful for him as it is you. But once he gets acclimated to his new home, he'll be fine. Mine are happier now.
I had a disposable litter pan in the car, but they only used it once. I think they just crossed their legs for 2 days.
My cats liked to be on top of the boxes in the car so they could see out the windows. I can only imagine what other drivers thought!
Good luck in CA!
get a cage about twice the size of your cat, the cat WILL freak out, but as long as the cage doesn't open the cat will not escape, cats always freak out when they ride cars
You might want to go to this site it is about flying your cat but it also has picture tips on the bottom of the page about how to make sure you pet carrier is secure and escape proof. http://www.saferpettravel.com also you may want to buy the DryFur cat pads so if he freaks and does not use the box and has accident he will not be forced to ride soaked in urine which can create some terrible skin conditions like urine burns. Not to mention it will be a terrible mess trying to clean up while traveling.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all the information...but is there a way to follow your blog on Blogger?

    ReplyDelete