Sunday, August 2, 2009

How to get the cat to 'cover-up' after doo-doos?

I adopted a 12 year old cat from the SPCA about 2 1/2 years ago. He's a lovely wonderful cat, but has developed a stinky habit. He refuses to cover his business up.

When I first adopted him he covered up every time, but noticed as the week went on he switched to never doing it. I was neither vigilant in picking it up, nor leaving it for extended periods. I was forced to get him a litter box with a hood and door so the smell stayed put, but he didn't like the door, so the smell still escapes.

I notice that without fail he paws the inside wall of the litter box right after, but never the litter. He did this even before I got him a covered box, he'd paw the wall it was next to instead.

The smell I'm hit with when I get home from a day out is atrotious. I need to get him to cover it up again. Any ideas???
Answers:
Physically take the cat into the litterbox and dig his paw into the litter to make him cover it. This usually works. My male cat, has no problem digging in the litterbox for 10 minutes at a time, before and after eliminating. Kind of gross in fact! My female cat on the other hand couldn't be bothered with touching the litter period. She does some sort of hovering/balancing act on the edges of the litterbox in an attempt to not touch it. She's either afraid of it or just prissy. I like to think the latter of that. Thankfully my other cat has no problem covering it up for her. Tidy Cats just came out with a new litter, it's called Small Spaces. I don't know how well it works but it boasts that it's made for bathrooms, apartments and such and that it neutralizes odor on contact.
This may sound a little odd, but I made my cat do it. I would put her back into the box and use her paw to scoop litter onto her poo. She caught onto it a couple days later.
take his paw and do it for him for a bit and moybe he will catch on.

Some are just pure lazy. He is a guy you know. Our men are lazy about putn the seat down after going
Get him and put him in the box and make him cover it.
Some cats do that for life! 2 of my cats claw the wall, and everywhere BUT the litter. Maybe they don't want to get their paws dirty! Who knows what goes through a cats mind.

Just put in an air purifier (they have wall units at target than run on the electric plug and made for animal odors). And try the litter with the crystals in it. That works pretty good when they step on it.

Note: cats do not like covered litter boxes. It cuts off escape (to their imaginary dangers) and they also can't see if something is coming up behind them.
My cat sometimes doesn't do the best job of covering it. I just take the 3 seconds to either cover it myself, or to scoop the crap out of the box. I have to clean the box daily, anyway, so it's not really any extra work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment