Sunday, August 2, 2009

How to tell if my cat is in labor?

I think that my cat is in labor I am not sure she has a little blood on here foot and she is really shaky every now and then. If she is how can I comfort her.
Answers:
Kittens will be falling out of her hind area is a good clue...

But seriously...
First are you sure she is pregnant?
If so,give her a sheltered, quite area to labor in.
This is very important to labor she needs to feel relaxed and safe -( in nature she would need to hide in a safe place to ensure no predators would harm her or her kittens during labor)

I would suggest someplace
Like a closet or a box in a quite room, put old towels or a blanket in the area keep little children or others animals out of the area.
When she begins labor, she will pant alot
Gently stroke her head and talk sweetly to her,
remember she may try to stand-up ,turn around in circles as the first kitten is being delivered.
She may also howl or cry out when the first kitten is born, don't worry it's ok.
After that she will pant alot

While she is delivering you can help her by supporting her hind legs...this means that you allow her to use your hand as a place to push against as she delivers the kittens.
She will clean off the sac and eat the placenta ( let her do this)
The placenta will give her alot of calories that she will need once she begins nursing the kittens so let her eat it.

Labor can last all-day


Go to this link for more info:

http://www.thecats.com/labor.htm...
This shows an actual labor and delivery of kittens


*Remember to give her some Prime food after she is done with Labor. Real meat (people food) for at least the first few weeks.
Real tuna is great or lunch meats, she will need to feed these kittens and needs alot of food to keep her milk production up
Enjoy the experiance !
There are a number of signs to let you know when your queen is about to give birth.
Nesting
Decreased activity
Milk discharge from the nipples
Restlessness
Calling as if in heat
Licking of the vaginal area
Sometimes rubbing their bellys and talking to them is very comforting and eases the stress.She needs this right now.Also make her a nice comfy clean bed where she can deliver.
When my cat had her babies she did it at night %26 I had no I idea it happened. I went to check her (because of her pregnancy) and there they were, nursing; she did the whole thing all by herself. Just keep her warm %26 give her a couple of soft clean towels to lay on. She'll want to keep the babies safe; make sure all potential little hiding places are clutter free and safe. If you don't see them for a while, don't panic. I just kept peeking to make sure everyone was ok. Since I missed the whole thing, I'm afraid I'm not much of a help!

No comments:

Post a Comment