Sunday, August 2, 2009

How to keep cat from bitting?

My cat is only 6months old(today actually) I know he is just play fighting and bitting but it sometimes seems serious. He will latch on to your arm with all his strength and sink his teeth in. I have talked to the vet and she isnt concerned. Its hard to describe. I think sometimes its play and sometimes its vicious. I dont know what to do. He gets this look on his face when he is gonna attack. Even when your not playing he will just come at you and bite you. But, he is a lover when he wants to be. I'm confused.
Answers:
i thought i was the only one with this problem but mine is 7 months old and i was wondering the same thing...he will lay on my shoulder for a long time and then get down and then he will claw me and bite me like to tell me it is time to play... here i am with battle scars and worried my cat is weird and someone else is going through the same thing
Speak SHARPLY and just let him know You're not playing right now. My Stimpy gets all frisky and forgets herself now and then. Luck from Brian%26Stimpy
Its the age. Just draw a limit all the time with him. Do not let him bite at any time, even if you are playing. If he does tap on nose shout "no" and end the play. Also try a toy (cat nip) that he can get angry on, let him bite that toy, or any other toy he has. My ferret had the same problem. It took about 3 days to get under control, just continue with it all the time so they do not get confused.
I had this problem with my cat when he was a baby and now its a BIG problem. So big that he has to stay in my bedroom at all times, away from other family members and cats. its very sad!!

What we SHOULD have done to preven thtis problem is talk to our vet sooner. When my almost two year old cat was a kitten, he used to bite while playing as well. The vet said that when he does this that we need to stop playing and say "no!" in a firm voice. The fact that we stop playing immediately after the cat bites will upset the cat becuase kittens want to play! If you do this every time, the behavior will become less likley to occur. At the same time, make sure your kitten has plenty of little toys (my cat used to be content with just an empty toilet paper roll!!) so that he has some kind of chew toy.

Our problem was that my mother thought it was cute when he bit..so she let him do it!!
Get a water gun. It's humane and the kitten will get the point. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Kittens play like that but sometimes the bites can be more serious then play biting. What I do is when they bite me even if just playing i will holler out OUCH don't bite and then I put them down and ignore them for a few minutes. Sometimes that will work. Sometmes if it gets out of hand just get a water gun or squirt bottle. They hate the water and eventually they get the point. And also it will get to the point where all you will have to do is point the gun or bottle at them and they will be like don't suirt me!! I wat no part of that!! hehehe really it is effective and humane.
THis will sound wierd but I have a cat shelter and have discovered something about play biting. When he bites you, in a high pitched voice say YOW! that is the sound that kittens make when they are playing and one gets too rough. Your kitten may stop biting you all together or bite gentler. It won't work if they are biting because they are mad and doesn't work on claws, just play biting. It may take several Yows to get him to quit. It is how cats communicate. You will actually be speaking "cat" and will be telling him that he is hurting you. Give it a try and see if it works.
Got to love the kitten stage- They make great gloves to play with your cat or ferret or etc. We used it and we still use it when ours get to rough- but some animals need that excitement - its like us when we get to caught up in things we get carried away too.
Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment