Sunday, August 2, 2009

How to prevent food agression in kittens?

Is it even normal? I mean I've heard dogs that have it, but what about 1.5 month old kittens? I've got a single kitten living with her mom, and she has started eating solids. She has developed this vicious attitude towards her food. If I move my hand close to her, she strats growling menacingly and slashing at my hand, and when i hand feed her she attacks my hand (and the food). The thing is basically psycho, and I'd like her to stop. I've considered stroking her while she eats, although that seems to set her off even more, but thought it might cease after a while, so does anyone have anything?
Answers:
I've had to deal with this once before myself and the vet mentioned to me at the time that it isn't completely out of the norm for a kitten to do this.

I know this sounds mean (and please keep in mind the kitten isn't hurt by this), but when getting the kitten's food ready pick her up just before you setting the food bowl down. After setting the food down walk out of the kitchen while still holding her. Stroll around your home, walk to the windows, go to the bedroom, whatever -- just continue to carry her no matter how fussy or pushy she gets in wanting to get to the food.

After four-or-five minutes go back to the kitchen and sit on the floor in front of the food with her in your lap. Keep her there for another three minutes no matter how aggressive she behaves. You may even have to hold her by the scruff and tap her nose while saying "no" in a firm voice.

If she is behaving well and settled, then let her go to the food.

Do this several times when feeding her. The next step will be to pick her up while eating, walk to another room, and set her down. It doesn't matter what she does at this point -- even if that is running back to the dish.

While this behavior happens it is NOT acceptable. Hope this helps. -- Andy
IDK anything about food agression so I hope someone else can help you. But, it seems like you should leave the kittie alone when it is eating. definitely dont pet it while it is eating, the nicest kitties dont like that.
It depends what he or she's been eating. Solids are not really good for cats because sometimes it contains a bad chemical. That is probably why your cat is acting up like that. Try and not let her eat those kinds of stuff. Cats are trying to get rid of it but they have anger trying to ease the pain.
Rather give the kitten space and solitary treatment, it should calm down, it's probably used to having to fight others for feeding, this should pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment