Thursday, May 7, 2009

How do you measure a cat's age in relation to human age. I know dogs are 7 years to our 1 year,what about cats

My cat Percy died yesterday he was 17 years old.
Answers:
That 7-1 ratio is a myth.

There's no easy way to work it out by approximation. Many factors are involved and cats and dogs age at different rates during the early human years of their lives.

Someone asked the Queen to send a birthday greeting to their 20yo cat as they felt it was the equivalent of the usual 100yo birthday wish from the Queen.

My kitty was a few weeks shy of her 17th birthday. She had to be put to sleep yesterday.

I was told on Friday last that she had cancer of the intestines and that it was too advanced to treat her effectively.

We had the weekend and May Day holiday together but her temperament changed and I had to let her go.

I miss her so much.

It won't let me include a weblink to a cat age calculator... keep getting an error message
i think its the same 7 years to our one!!
they age differently based on how old they are...

http://www.terzovia.com/src/topics.php?r...
Dog an cat years are not an exact science. I've seen dogs that made it to 17, and cats that made it to 21. The cat, by the way, was on ly sick for a week before it died; before that, it was extremely healthy.

So, basically, there is no direct correlation between cat and dog years and people years. Many people have lived to be 90, and a couple have lived to be 120. Similarly for cats, most can live for between 14 and 20 years, but the oldest lived to be 36!

Based on the typical data available, your cat most likely lived to its full potential, regardless of whatever that might be in "Cat Years".
I saw something at the vets and I think for cats it is 5 years for each human year although I was always brought up with the traditional 7 human years for each cat year

Even at 5 to 1 that would make Percy 85 so a good age.
The Dog Age 7-1 is a myth. I get a weekly E-mail from www.dogage.com that has great stuff and you can measure your Dog's age with a proven method.

They have a Sister site also at www.catage.com also, where you can tabulate your cat's real age. Check it out....it has great info about Cats and their health and all kinds of neat stuff.

By the way,....and defiantely not last nor' least....I am VERY sorry to hear about the death of Percy. I hope he brought you a lot of great memories and will live on with you for the rest of "your" life.
Many people also say 7 years. But cats live longer than dogs, so the typical estimate is about 5 years for cats. I hope that helped! PS, 17 is very old for a kitty! My cat just died a week before she turned 12. That is 85 years old if you use the 5 year test! You must have taken very good care of her. She will always be with you.
People generally say it's 7 cats years to one human year, but if you think about it it's more like 5 years.

If it was 7 cat years to one human year, this would've made your cat the equivalent of a 119 year old human - do you think he was that old?! A 119 year old human is close to record-breaking, but a 17 year old cat is not (although of course it is a good age!)

I think a 17 year old cat is more like an 85 year old human (5 x 17). Much more realistic don't you think? My cat was 18 when she died, so she would've been 92 in 'cat years'!

Chalice
I've always heard four years, and it goes with small dogs too.
I don't think it is a straight simple ratio Blue. !7 is a good age he was obviously well cared for. My brothers cat is 19 and seems healthy apart from being stone deaf. Take care and remember the many good times you all had.
i dont think there is really a exact way too they just are what ever age they are for example
1-5 is very young yet
6-9 is middle aged and
10-15 is becoming a senior sort of and
15-20 is very old like a elderly person kind of

thats how i see it anyways hope this helps
I'm so sorry about Percy. Its very hard to lose a good friend who has been with you so long. May you meet again in heaven on the rainbow bridge - he'll be waiting %26 looking for you - comforting thought, huh?

You must have taken very good care of him. There is no exact science to this, but Percy would about 75 - 80 years old or thereabouts if human; he had a long life. Just like humans sometimes seem old at 30 or youthful at 80, cats can vary also.

Something else of interest, I've read that an outdoor cat lives 3 years on average, in comparison 13 years on average for an indoor cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment