Thursday, May 7, 2009

How do you keep cats away from a pool???

A cheap way.
Answers:
Your pet cats should be kept indoors.If you mean stray cats, well most of them don't really like the water anyway. But if you have cats going in the pool sprinkle some moth balls around the pool. It's not the only way but it is the cheapest.
Throw them in...they'll never go near it again.
There are sonic detectors that you can put around the pool. The let a high pitched sound off or something like that I know you can get them on ebay. apparently it deters animals.
what i have done is buy some netting, close weave. layed it just under the water line so its not visible and secure it with wire to the sides,,if the cat falls in she wont drown, keeps herons out too, protects fish, and is cheap and cheerful.
cats are inquizative and will go any where that seams to be of interest to them,,my cats are always around my pool i dont worry too much as i know that cats can swim if you want to keep yours away try spraying it with the hose each time it goes near beleive me it works,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Your cats or neighbor cats? If they are your cats, just keep them indoors. It's far safer for them there. Usually, cats don't like water and won't go near it. If you have a particular breed of cat, like a Bengal, that cat may want to go swimming or deficate in the pool. If it is a purebred cat, it should be kept indoors with plenty of fresh water of it's own to drink. If they are neighbors cats, just put a few rags soaked with ammonia along your property line and that should keep them away. Or get a dog.
Cheap, I am not sure . safest would be the "invisible fence "type of devices. Another good one is an alarm that goes off when in contact to water .. This way, if the cat ever gets to the pool, you would know.
I have a 20X40 in ground pool and I also have many cats On my farm I put a privacy fence up panels 8 ft wide 6 ft long the got ply wood 1/2 and cut 1 ft long peaces and used cheep L shape brackets Lowes 1.17 ea, and ran a 1 ft plywood strip all around the top of the fence and over the doors to get in. and this works 100% Make sure the wood faces out away from fence now they can;t get in nor jump since I took away there ability to get to the top and increase there angle to jump up.It's been up for 3 weeks now and not 1 cat got in or over the fence use the same idea as keeping a squirrel out
put a fence around it or get a electric fence and put the thing on ur cat
PUT UP A FENCE!
your cats or neighbors cats? a logical answer is to keep it covered when not in use, or a fence, neither are cheap. good luck.
unbeknownst to most people, cats are great swimmers. They don't necessarily like to swim but they can.

I wouldn't worry about keeping them out of the pool it is unlikely that they would venture in but if they did they could swim to the edge of the pool and get out on their own.
You don't have to keep the animal inside. WHat you do is show them about pools. Take off the cover if you have it, put the cat near the pool, and splash it a few times, that cat will avoid that pool forever. Problem solved. A little education of a cat goes a LONG way, ask anyone with an indoor/outdoor cat.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by everyone! Have a great day! I would love to hear your comments, so please leave one if you want. I love sharing and inspiring others,rail fence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, there's nothing I detest more than the smell of cat wee!

    I used to have such an issue with my cats back in the times of living alone with them. You wouldn't accept the commotion they caused! Truly!

    One of my 2 cats (both neutered guys) had taken to painting the majority of my dividers, furniture, and whatever else he could reach. I was alarmed when I got an UV light. He never did that in the majority of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a mate (they cherish one another and did so immediately) however when a weird dark cat fired appearing outside both of my cats went crazy and the more seasoned one (9) began his divider painting, just as the window ornaments out in the kitty room. I couldn't stay aware of it.

    My cats are indoor cats so dislike the stray is really going to get in here yet the two of them detest him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats loathe him as well). I've taken a stab at cleaning with a pet pee compound and afterward spraying some "No More Spraying" however that hasn't worked. He's a tricky little bugger as well; he holds up until he believes I'm not looking and afterward does it. He's discovered that the moment I see him backing his butt looking for trouble he gets shouted at.

    It wasn't until I found "NoMoreCatPee" that I had the option to at long last dispose of this tedious conduct.

    Presently my home doesn't smell like a litter box any longer :)

    Here's a link if you're interested in checking out their site: NoMoreCatPee.com

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete