Thursday, May 7, 2009

How do you keep your cat from clawing at the carpet?

Any tips welcome!
The cat's not going anywhere, neither is the carpet.
Answers:
They have this thing called Soft Paws they sell it at petco and petsmart. You just stick some glue in the little cap and then slide the nail in (once the nail is cut). I use these on my cats and they dont have a problem with it. Thats the best thing please do not declaw your cat this works much better and they never feel any pain. Declawing can lead to serious problems.
keep in its cage
take its claws out.
Get the cat a scratching post. It can be picked up at any pet store. If you are not going to declaw the cat this is an essential toy to have. A cat has a natural need to sharpen or groom it's claws and that is why your cat is doing this. Hope this helps!
Have it de-clawed.
don't declaw! it's cruel, you could try softpaws instead. I think the old water bottle works good. squirt your kitty everytime he does something bad, and he'll get the idea and stop (hopefully all the time, and not just when you're looking). cats HATE being squirted, but it doesn't hurt them, just don't aim at their eyes. if you get them in the rear area, they especially hate that.
Declawing is cruel, and should be a last resort.

Keep a small spray bottle filled with water nearby. When you catch the cat clawing at the carpet, spray him/her with it until he/she catches on that whenever they claw at the carpet they will get wet. I tried this with my dog and it worked when he chased my cat and it worked when he clawed at the door.

Good luck.
Get it declawed
Try one of those cardboard scratching boxes. You can buy them at any pet store. They work great!
You can clip the cat's claws rather than de-clawing the cat. You can also get a scratching post. I would choose either of those options over de-clawing or using a water bottle.
Have a vet de-claw the cat.
don't declaw him please it will hurt him very muchly
the water bottle trick works very nicely and give him a treat when he stops doing it.
its like training him to use the kitty litter it will take time
Try a scratching post/toys %26 train. If this does not work try spraying with water, keep the nails trimmed, then try the glue on nail covers. I know I will be sreamed at here for this next one, it's contraversial; keep the cat indoors and declaw. I HATE declawing but when my cats will not train and stop the horrible behavior, they destroy the house; my thought is they have a great home, lots of love, and a great life. So, if they have to be declawed, so be it. I tried one cat who was abandoned, he was older, after a year of destruction in my home (couches, drapes, sheers, etc.) I had it and spoke to the vet and it was a unanimous decision to declaw since it was best for all. He lived an happy life and was none the worse for the surgery. BUT you cannot let the cat outdoors b/c they cannot defend themselves. I never had one get out. My other ones are not declawed nor do they go outdoors unless on a harness and leash.
But him or her a scratching post and put some cat nip on it. Show him or her where to scratch if it starts to scratch the carpet. You can also trim the cat's front claws with special claw clippers you can get from the pet section. Be sure not to cut into the pink part of the claw to avoid blood vessels. If you are unsure how to trim your cat's claws have a professional show you how. Good luck.
I have three cats and they are all declawed.One of them I bought that way the other two I a had it done.My third cat I didn't want to get declawed but had to because he was scratching everything.The only thing that worked for a little while was the carpeted scratching post.Some cats just never stop doing it even after there out of there kitten stage good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment