Thursday, May 7, 2009

How do you keep cats off your furniture?


Answers:
You don't. Cats will do whatever they please.
remove the cats legs
You cant they have minds of their own, the only thing I can suggest is put throws over sofas etc or keep them to one room in the house.

Sorry cant help any further
Squirt them with a squirt bottle or slap a rolled up newspaper up close to them so that it makes noise and startles them, hopefully they associate that with climbing on the furniture and they stop. good luck!
Put aluminimum foil on the furniture you want the cat to stay off of. It will jump up and be startled by it and learn to stay off. There are also commerical products (Scat Mats) that effectively do the same thing.
I'd like to help you but...I really don't know what to tell you but...if you do... figure it out then please, let me know!!

Good luck!
i yell NO very loudly clap my hands and then push them off if they are still up there.

after a while if i just clap my hands they know to get down, and if not you got to reinforce the clapping of hands by pushing them down afterwards.
then after a while they realize, the clapping of hands means i will be pushed down, so they jump down.

ive also heard of getting a spray bottle. and squirting them.
hope it helps.
Actually, the first answer is the closest to being accurate. The only way to keep a cat from doing what it wants is to physically disable it!

I don't think you SHOULD. That's animal abuse and I think people who abuse animals deserve to be treated in the same manner they treated the animal. I'm just making the point that you can train a cat to do certain things (like not scratch), but cats are feisty, curious, stubborn animals and are naturally going to explore every inch of their surroundings. Not much you can do--if you push them off the couch, they'll jump right back on.
watergun
I don't. I cover my couch with a throw blanket so they don't get hair all over it.
The best way I've found is to spread tomato sauce on the furniture where the cat likes to go. They don't really like to get messy so they generally stay away. I usually use a spatula and just spread a thin layer (about 1/2 inch) of sauce all over my couch and chairs about once a week (works especially well on leather furniture). I also pour it on the carpet to keep the cat from scratching. If it doesn't work, try adding more garlic. Good Luck!
I think cats really do what they want. I personally put things (toys, remote, cordless phone, etc.) on the couch when i leave the house so they have nowhere to lay.

No comments:

Post a Comment