Thursday, May 7, 2009

How do you get your cats bum and poop to stop smelling soooo bad?

Our cat is almost a year now and we love him very much.BUT when he was a kitten his bum smelled bad and he farted all the time. Our vet told us to change to a special cat food and we did. Now his poop just stinks. But it stinks up the whole house. We use good litter and even the arm and hammer cat box stuff. Help????
Answers:
Are you feeding wet food or dry? I would try another brand of cat food again. I use Iams adult dry and I don't have that problem anymore. They are giving free bags away...see this link: http://www.iamspromise.com/?source=yahoo...

Some brands of cat food use vegetable fillers. These foods help some cats, but do not taste as good to most cats. Soy and similar vegetable additives produce more gas, making your cat stink even worse.

Location of the cat box is also important. Many people keep the cat box in the corner of a small bathroom with poor air circulation. This concentrates the fumes and makes for a very stinky room. Consider a balcony, porch, or a room with a window that is kept open.

Choice of cat litter may be your best weapon. Use a dessicating cat litter, for dry feces smell less than wet. There are many odor absorbing litters on the market. Try them all, and choose the one you and your cat likes best. Consider additives, such as baking soda, mixed in the litter.

Also consider getting an automatic litter cleaner like LitterMaid. Then your litter box is always clean, which cuts down on odors. I love mine!
Change the food again.its not your cat litter
How about changing to a food that has no corn wheat soy byproducts dies artifical flacours and preservatives. I used to have a cat that has the farts and horrible poos all the time...then i learned about holistic diets. i mean the poo still smells bad...but 100% better than before...the smell stays in the litter box. i use merrick cat litter its a wheat alternative and its amazing!! eagle pack holistic select duck and oatmeal is what i feed mine. and their health is so much better. any holistic brand is better than what the vet or the grocery store provides for you. wellness, innova, back to basics...are all great...also decrease the amount of wet food you give her and make sure it has real meat as the first ingredietn@!!
;) Cat poop smells. Period. ;)

However, there are some things that you can do to help.

1. Is it possible to place your cat box in a room where you can leave the window cracked open? And with a shut door with a cat door installed.

2. Is it possible to clean your litter box a MINIMUM of once a day?

3. Is it possible to buy a special litter box? There are boxes that you can buy that have lids with little swinging doors. There are boxes that will literally clean the litter box every time your cat uses it?

4. Mix baking soda in with your kitty litter.

5. Air freshener, air freshener, air freshener.

I know that the above things work because we have three cats. ;)
digestive system is possibly bad
Cat bowel will stink regardless. But often times, wet cat food can lend itself to foul smelling breath and bowel. Have you tried a quality dry formula? It will make the stool firmer and also be better for your cat's teeth.

Cleaning the cat litter oftern may also minimize the smell. I know it's an undertaking, but that's the (small) price to pay for owning a less smelly cat.
Are you giving her can food? I give my cat dry cat food and that problem went away.
It all has to do with the food you feed.

Make sure you feed a quality food like Wellness, Nutro Natural Choice, or Holistic.

these foods have all natural ingredients which are easier to digest, plus it cuts back on the amount they eat, stinky poop, and shedding. I would recommend you try one of these foods, and you'll be able to see the results!

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, there's nothing I detest more than the smell of cat wee!

    I used to have such an issue with my cats back in the times of living alone with them. You wouldn't accept the commotion they caused! Truly!

    One of my 2 cats (both neutered guys) had taken to painting the majority of my dividers, furniture, and whatever else he could reach. I was alarmed when I got an UV light. He never did that in the majority of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a mate (they cherish one another and did so immediately) however when a weird dark cat fired appearing outside both of my cats went crazy and the more seasoned one (9) began his divider painting, just as the window ornaments out in the kitty room. I couldn't stay aware of it.

    My cats are indoor cats so dislike the stray is really going to get in here yet the two of them detest him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats loathe him as well). I've taken a stab at cleaning with a pet pee compound and afterward spraying some "No More Spraying" however that hasn't worked. He's a tricky little bugger as well; he holds up until he believes I'm not looking and afterward does it. He's discovered that the moment I see him backing his butt looking for trouble he gets shouted at.

    It wasn't until I found "NoMoreCatPee" that I had the option to at long last dispose of this tedious conduct.

    Presently my home doesn't smell like a litter box any longer :)

    Here's a link if you're interested in checking out their site: NoMoreCatPee.com

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete