Thursday, May 7, 2009

How do you get cat's spray smell out of the house?

My cat has not been fixed, obviously, and everytime I leave the house it seems like the cat goes in a new room and sprays. How do I get the smell out and how do I get him to quit (without having him fixed)?
Answers:
Unfortunately cat urine (the smell) is a difficult one to get rid of. I have two cats myself and I use a product called Simple Solution (it's for both cats and dogs). It works very well on urine stains, vomit, feces, and blood. They do have a one specific to cats as well. I use the Simple Solution to clean up whatever messes the cats leave around, hairballs, the occasional vomit, and I use it mostly around the litterboxes that are on the carpet floor. (My female cat refuses to actually touch the litter with her paws and does an acrobatic stunt and hovers on the edge of the litterbox). With that said, the urine sometimes misses the actual box.

Basically I spray the formula on the area, first cleaning up anything that might be there, then dab up what I can, soak it again and it has to dry completely before the smell is gone. You can also use a black light - lightbulb, to find where the cat has urinated. Which will help you in getting rid of the smell.

Male cats spray as a way of marking their territory, more so when they are not neutered. There is a product called Feliaway, I believe it comes in a sort of plug in the wall unit, something like a Glade plug-in. It boasts that it helps with anxiety of the sort. It may give kitty some aide in his spraying festivities.

Another thing I would suggest is having enough litterboxes for the number of cats you have. You should have one more litterbox than cats, also make sure the litterbox is large enough that the cat can fit comfortably in it.

And last, I'm not sure of your reason for not fixing your cat, as you may have a good one. However, if the cat is healthy and able to undergo a minor surgery, I would suggest getting him neutered. Male cats heal up quickly and are romping around before the vet says they should be in most cases. Fixing your cat will extend his life and should end his marking. It does however cause most cats to have a tendency to become overweight the older they get... that's an easy fix by monitoring their food intake and giving them a reduced fat diet.

One more thing and I promise I'm done. there is also a product called Nature's Miracle, I've never used it, but I hear it works well for the urine smells and cleaning up end of it as well.

I could go on and on! I hope all of this works for you! :)
As far as I know the only solution to a male cat not sparying is to get him fixed. Ugh that awful smell I tried alot of expensive items and the best one was the cheapest. Buy the powdered carpet freshners. I shook it on the affected carpet very heavily and left set for 2 weeks. Needless to say George is now an outside cat!! Good luck to you!
GETTING YOUR CAT FIXED WILL PROLONG IT'S LIFE BY YEARS,UNTIL THEN USE ZORBEX-WALLGREENS SELLS IT,OR LOOK ON LINE FOR IT...REMOVES ALL ODORS WITH NO PERFUME SMELL IF YOU LOVE YOUR CAT GET IT FIXED THIS WEEK...YOU WONT BE SORRY! WILL LIVE YEARS LONGER.
I work at petco and i tell every one to use a product called natures miracle for cats is about ten dollars a bottle and its 100% money back guaranteed. I have never had anyone return it in 6 years.
u need to catch him spraying..i like to use squirt bottles..

to clean tom peee vinegar and water it does the best..i put it in my scrubber and do all my floors with it cause noone is goning to have allergies to it plus i lost a scrubber to soap scrum i couldn't get outta the tubing.. 1:2 ratio (vin:H2O). it works trust me i'd rather my house smelled like a pickle then cat pee.yummmpickles...
oh and i put baking soda on top after the spot is dry. it helps with the smell and lets u know if its been remarked...and 9out 10 times it will not be. cats hate the smell. and if want do a 2;3 to start in a spray bottle for spots u know where he's went.

No comments:

Post a Comment